Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test RAM for errors on a 386

thanks, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Try Ramtest by Brown Bag Software:

https://ftp.sunet.se/mirror/archive/...msdos/memutil/

It's ramtst30.zip

You could also try the one just above it, ramtest.zip. I've got and used both of them.

Is there any particular reason you you 3.4 instead of 4.1? 4.1 is, as far as I know, the last one that will boot on a 386.

Quote Originally Posted by maferv View Post
    ...The only bad thing is that it takes a lot of time. For 4x1MB=4MB it takes around an hour to complete the test. For 4x4MB=16MB it takes 3 hours+.
    You can always configure it to run just one or some selected tests if you want. That would reduce the time considerably.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Well, I've got to change my story. I didn't see that Checkit3 can be configured to run multiple tests and multiple patterns. doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    Well, I had a bad DRAM chip which Checkit3 failed to find. System was very unstable, swapped a bank of chips and its good now.

I was hoping that something as good as Memtest86 was available for DOS and pre-386.

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    Well, I've got to change my story. I didn't see that Checkit3 can be configured to run multiple tests and multiple patterns. doh!
    I've been using it for nearly thirty years and it's always been good to me.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step