Image Map Image Map

Thread: Restoring Xenix 386 2.2.3c - Looking for Information

Default Restoring Xenix 386 2.2.3c - Looking for Information

I've been working on restoring Xenix 2.2.3c, an unusual release of Xenix 386 which I think was a limited availability or limited release of this release of Xenix. I've written up the first part of my adventure here: https://soylentnews.org/meta/article.../03/03/1620222, and working with Michal of the OS/2 Muesum, we've managed to restore almost all the missing sectors either from teledisk images, or by careful reconstruction. I hope some folks here find the story interesting, I have the next part going up tomorrow.

Michal and I have dissected the TeleDisk images pretty thoroughly, and what we found was that some sectors were duplicated in the TD0 file, and others are simply missing. What I've mostly tried to figure out how the disks got so screwy. The images are mostly corrupted in the same location and I wondered if there was any teledisk experts around. I need to turn our notes into something a bit clearer which makes me think something fugly was going on with the FDC when the images were made because the corruption is always in roughly the same areas.

Hmm, I would have guessed some Xenix experts would chime in.

Those articles detailing the Xenix restoration are a great read!

Where did you get the disk images? Most of those were in a Unix archive called Titor Special. Looking back at the contents of Titor Special, that version is not listed.

Never mind. I assume it is v2.2.3 on WinWorld flagged as corrupt.
    Last edited by Chuckster_in_Jax; April 1st, 2017 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCommander View Post
    I've been working on restoring Xenix 2.2.3c, an unusual release of Xenix 386 which I think was a limited availability or limited release of this release of Xenix. I've written up the first part of my adventure here: https://soylentnews.org/meta/article.../03/03/1620222, and working with Michal of the OS/2 Muesum, we've managed to restore almost all the missing sectors either from teledisk images, or by careful reconstruction.
    Very impressive! I only skimmed through the articles so I may have missed a few things.

Did you ever manage to find a real serial number and activation key for the installation?
    If not I will try to find one for you - the default serial number for internal SCO use was "SCO000000" and, of course, 30 years ago, I could type the appropriate activation key without even thinking about it - unfortunately I no longer remember it but I know a couple of people who may have better memories than I do or who may still have it written down somewhere.

I do not specifically recall the 2.2.3 release - 2.2.2 had quite a long and successful life as a 286 release but I don't remember 2.2.3 - possibly it just added some extra hardware support - as you noted, user space binaries didn't generally get rebuilt unless they needed to be, and the contents of the B and X disks would have been substantially the same for any fairly closely related releases.

Quote Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
    Did you ever manage to find a real serial number and activation key for the installation?
    https://github.com/Octocontrabass/brandy

SCO serial number analyzer source