Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 SL Floppy Drives Issue

Blog Entries

Default Tandy 1000 SL Floppy Drives Issue

I upgraded my Tandy 1000 SL with a Dallas Clock Chip / V30 Chip / 8087 / and a 3 1/2" Floppy Drive.

The Floppy drive is connected first to the cable coming from the board, followed by the regular 5 1/4" next. The cable is a Tandy cable with the holes punched out for power and an adapter for the floppy cable to take the first input from 5 1/4" slot type connector to a regular 3 1/2" IDE type connector.

The system powers up fine and boots into Deskmate, but both floppy drive lights are staying lit and I cannot put any disks into the drives to be read. When I open up the drives menu, I see

A: C:
    A:\

What do I need to do to get these drives working properly? They are definately connected to the cable properly as well.
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

yo donīt have your data cable connected upside down ?.

Blog Entries

No...really sure I don't. The cable is plugged into the board with the holes punched out for power being the first part of the cable and then to the 3 1/2 drive and then to the 5 1/4 drive.

5 1/4 drive is jumpered to drive 0

If the drive light stays on all the time, then you have the cable plugged in backwards.

Note that Tandy usually put Pin 1 on the opposite side compared to most floppy drives -- and the original cable was only long enough to reach the connectors on the TEAC drives that Tandy used. So if you install another brand of floppy drive, you'll usually need to replace the cable with a longer one, and then modify it to punch out the same wires that are punched out in the original Tandy cable.

Blog Entries

The cable I have looks just like the one in your video for UPgrading the 1000 SL....I have it plugged in the same way (with the hole punches in the cable seen near the connector that goes into the board.

The cable, along with an adapter I have fits into the 3 1/2" and then up to the TEAC at the top. I'd have to flip the cable over from when it leaves the board to get to the first drive....I can try that.

As for length, the cable fits fine into both drives. In terms of being long enough, the TEAC 5 1/4 is the top drive so the cable can access the 3 1/2 drive seated below in in the case fine with the adapter that changes it from the 5 1/4" connector to the 3 1/2" connector type.

I have done the same yesterday to my 1000 sl, the original cable is already punched and used a 5.25 edge to IDC adapter, to connect my floppy drive. Worked fine but not all 3.5 drives worked fine used a old one that have all kind of jumpers.
    Can yo post a picture of the drives and connection.

Blog Entries

Here are the pics:

These first two are the cable....the connector with the hole punches is in the main board connector, the second has the adapter and the third is the regular connector

The 3 1/2" Drive....no jumpers on it...

The 5 1/4" Drive....jumpered to Drive 0

The connectors go into the 3 1/2" first and then the 5 1/4" at the end, which should be the A:

Let me know what you see! Thanks...

If that's a Teac FD-235 3.5" drive, later versions used soldered jumpers to save money. It should be set up as drive 1 on an IBM PC. Do you have info on any jumper changes Tandy used?

If you need to reverse the cable, can you do it o the mobo side rather than both drives?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    If that's a Teac FD-235 3.5" drive, later versions used soldered jumpers to save money. It should be set up as drive 1 on an IBM PC. Do you have info on any jumper changes Tandy used?

If you need to reverse the cable, can you do it o the mobo side rather than both drives?
    If I reverse it completely then I'd have to use the adapter to plug the cable into the board and then the 3 1/2 would have to be the first drive on the cable and the 5 1/4 would be the second drive on the cable as the one end of the cable is a 3 1/2" type connector and the other side is a 5 1/4 connector with another 5 1/4 in between them. I figured since the board connector is also a standard floppy connector (3 1/2) that the cable would need to be plugged in that way.

It doesn't matter which drive is first on the cable, because you can always swap them in the Tandy setup program, like I showed in my video about it.