Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 SL Floppy Drives Issue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    It doesn't matter which drive is first on the cable, because you can always swap them in the Tandy setup program, like I showed in my video about it.

Doesn't the punch outs in the cable for power need to be first though? So the connector that is directly behind the punch outs would need connected to the board
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

@Smack2k

1) Unplug the 3.5" drive Power up and see what happens.
    2) If that does not work Plug the lead (Motherboard end) around the other way and see what happens.

Ray
    If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.
    Procrastinators Unite.
    I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.

Blog Entries

The 5 1/4" drive works fine without the 3 1/2" plugged in...no issues with it.

Can I make the 5 1/4" Drive 1 on its jumpers and then leave Drive 0 to the 3 1/2" or would that mess something up? Wanted to ask before I tried it.

If the 3.5" has no jumpers, it is set up as drive 1. IBM used a twisted cable to select between drives A and B, rather than depending on service people to set jumpers. Later drives eliminated jumpers completely to save money. Can you see the soldered jumpers on the Teac circuit board? If you can, you could desolder the drive select an change it. The circuitry was still there. Can you post the full model number of the 3.5" drive? I might have jumper data on it.

Blog Entries

The TEAC drive has jumpers that I can set. It was set as Drive 0 initially with the 3.5" set to Drive 1 (no jumpers) and both drives just stayed lit and woudlnt work. In the system, it saw two A: Drives.

Removing the 3.5" and leaving the TEAC Set to Drive 0, things worked fine.

MP-F17W-12 is the model number on the Sony 3.5" Drive....

What happens if you just have the 3.5" drive in? Does it see that as Drive A: ?

Did you try to set the Teac as Drive 1? I know it's counterintuitive, but if you see two A's then something is odd. I see you posed that question.

I don't have anything on Sony floppy drives. A quick search online suggests it was for Dell computers.
    Last edited by lafos; March 14th, 2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Refer to earlier post

Blog Entries

I can set the 5 1/4 as Drive 1 and see what happens....

Blog Entries

Set the 5.25 to Drive 1 and when the 3.5 is hooked up, both drives light up and stay lit.....without the 3.5 on the line the 5.25 works fine...

Find another floppy?

What happens with JUST THE 3.5 hooked up? Does the light stay on? If so, my guess goes back to an early one here. The cable is upside down.

If the light is on with just the 3.5" drive, try unplugging drive (with the computer off of course) from cable, turning the drive upside down and plugging it in. Turn it on and do the lights then go out?

A long, long time ago I tried to add a 2nd floppy to my SL...picked one up used from a local shop. I don't remember all the details now, but I do remember the cable being too short to reach, and it may have been a 2nd drive I tried, but one of them the connector was upside-down as compared to the cable. Is the edge card to pin connector keyed on both sides? If not, that could be backwards...with most drives (but not all!), pin 1 (the stripe) points towards the power connection on the drive.

Wesley