Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tandy 1000 SL Floppy Drives Issue

Blog Entries

I don't know how the cable could be backward as the end with the holes punched out for power are at the board connectors. I can't see how you'd want the power cut outs at the end of the cable.

The edge connector being backwards is a possibility. I will check that out.
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Blog Entries

Your shot of the edge connector on your cable shows a "key" between pins 4 and 6. You'll note that there's a mating slot on the edge connector on the drive. Short of brute force, there's no way to put the edge connector on the drive backwards. However, I've been bamboozled by seating the header end of the cable off by one row--in other words, making contact with one set of pins but not the other. Which is why I use shrouded connectors--they make it impossible to mis-register. Keyed shrouded connectors and the corresponding cable ends are even more foolproof.

If you've got a continuity tester on your multimeter, you can check out your connection. With the power off, pull the edge connector off the drive and test for continuity to ground (chassis ground) of the contacts in the connector. With the connector facing you with the stripe and key on your left, almost all of the lower contacts will have continuity with ground; the upper ones will not.

Blog Entries

Resurrecting an old thread......

Had a quick question, if i were to use a standard floppy cable instead of trying to get the short Tandy cable to work (I have no adapters or anything to get the cable longer), would I need to both cut the appropriate wires (3,5,7,9,11, 29,21,33) and do this cable mod done in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-89z2VCVQ

Not sure if I need to do both or not.....

I didnt watch the video, but I have an external floppy drive that I move around between the TRS-80s and Tandy 1000 and I just did the pin cuts. Works great.

Blog Entries

New and hopefully final issue before I can move on to building the CF Adapter for this 1000SL. I created the cable and did the pin cuts. I also removed the full twist in the cable per info I was reading in the Tandy FAQ and another site. I then installed the 3.5" Drive, its a Sony MP-F17W-12. There is a swich on the side with 4 positions for the drive. If I choose anything other than D0, the drive does nothing, doesnt come on during boot and isnt usable. If I set it to D0, the drive works mostly, but does everything at the same time with the 5 1/4" Floppy drive, they both run when looking for Drive A or Drive B...

Putting it in position D1 and the drive does nothing....when I choose Drive B at DOS prompt and enter a dir command, it still tries to read from 5 1/4"

Was able to get into the setup program and it only sees Top Drive as option, I cant even switch to say bottom drive is Drive A...

Is my cable wrong? Or is it something else?

Cabling goes out of system board, past the cable cuts, then into the 3 1/2" then into the 5 1/4" drive, so 5 1/4" should be A and 3 1/2 should be B until I change them in setup....

EDIT - Reading another article it mentions cutting the cable but does not mention taking the twist out....I can try putting the twist back in and setting the 3 1/2 as Drive 1 and see what happens....

EDIT - Even with the twist back in the cable, only the 5 1/4 works (as both A and B) if the 3 1/2 is set to anything other than Drive 0. If set to Drive 0, both drives work as A and B

FINAL EDIT - I got it working....didnt know once you had the drives hooked up as D0 and D1 that you have to run the setup program....once I ran that, it saw both drives and I was able to set A and B...working now!!
    Last edited by Smack2k; January 4th, 2018 at 05:55 PM.

So all this time, you were doing this and not running the setupsl.com program?

Silly!

If you have an SL, SL/2, TL, or TL/2 you must ALWAYS use the bios setup program to have the system see any drive changes. If you have an earlier SX, EX, or HX they do not have a setup program for the bios, and you simply have to change the jumpers on the disk drives to set which is A: or B: (D0 or D1).

Sorry for saying this so late after the fact, but hopefully this is helpful for someone else that encounters this problem.

Blog Entries

FWIW: setuphx.com

SETUPHX.jpg

Mike