Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Unitron - Apple II clone

If it were me, I'd rather hack ProDOS. Having a nonstandard boot logo was always appealing.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

I can understand that appeal. Two of the clones I acquired late last year were originally imported by the company I worked for in the early 80's.
    One had indications that I had actually done a repair on it personally. So I have decided to keep the non standard boot name in those machines for nostalgia sake.

Of course the apple 2e I picked up last week now makes that decision easier since I will have something to boot unpatched prodos when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    If it were me, I'd rather hack ProDOS. Having a nonstandard boot logo was always appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    I can understand that appeal. Two of the clones I acquired late last year were originally imported by the company I worked for in the early 80's.
    One had indications that I had actually done a repair on it personally. So I have decided to keep the non standard boot name in those machines for nostalgia sake.

Of course the apple 2e I picked up last week now makes that decision easier since I will have something to boot unpatched prodos when needed.
    That's remarkable, reconnecting with a machine after presumably a rather long time. I've been searching (in Australia for the most part) for a Datamini Apple clone for some time now, but in the past 2 years have picked up 4 others instead from Redstone (sold now though), Maple, Elite and an unknown one that comes up as "VectorIO". Are any of those connected to your former employer?

No none were sold by the company (Computer Edge) that I worked for. We were the company that fought the landmark copyright case against Apple, we won the first case, they appealed and won then we won the high court appeal. Not long after that the government lobbied by Apple amended the copyright laws to include computer software.

I got an even bigger surprise than just finding a "Wombat" that I'd worked on. The guy I got it from turned out to be an old client from my after hours business repairing computers. He has collected apples and clones for 30 years and has sheds full of them. He brought over about about 6 complete machines, a few monitors, 20 motherboards, and power supplies for me to repair along with a coup[le of hundred apple cards. One of the cards, an eprom programmer had been modified with a switch to support 27128's. That switch was one used in a trs-80 clone (komtech) we used to sell so I knew it could only have come from where I worked. Imagine my surprise when I turned it over and there was a sticker with my name on it. Turns out it was my own personal eprom programmer from 30 years ago that I'd sold and forgotten about years ago.
    He gave me that card as a gift.

This is the card in the condition I got it back in.
    14581447_1290427247654431_4044330996632426482_n.jpg

I've since cleaned it up and got it working although I've not actually tried to program and eprom with it, reading eproms works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    That's remarkable, reconnecting with a machine after presumably a rather long time. I've been searching (in Australia for the most part) for a Datamini Apple clone for some time now, but in the past 2 years have picked up 4 others instead from Redstone (sold now though), Maple, Elite and an unknown one that comes up as "VectorIO". Are any of those connected to your former employer?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234