Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Hate Printers.....especially modern ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    FWIW, I refill the Brother carts myself. Buy your toner from a reputable seller and it's pretty easy to do, particularly if you have a decent small vacuum cleaner. Cast is about $8 per 5000-copy refill.
    The Brother TN-650 toner I just bought came with prepaid UPS / USPS labels to return the used toner cartridge it was replacing for recycling instead of going into the landfill. I suppose a lot of their motivation for making it easy to return the used cartridge is to get them out of the hands of refillers.

I've never tried refilling a one time only used cartridge. I was somewhat surprised that the printer completely refused to continue printer with a toner error half way through a print job. In my opinion the last page printed still had acceptable print quality. I don't know if it's a smart cartridge that the printer shuts off after a page count limit is reached, or if was maybe optically sensing the toner level. I couldn't find any way to get the printer to print any additional pages after the toner error appeared until I replaced the cartridge.

Blog Entries

I've got a few old LaserJets but the printer we use constantly - every day- is an el-cheapo Epson WF-2510 inkjet. I print pdfs of bitsavers manuals, the whole family uses it to photocopy things, scan docs, and my wife edits and runs off 70-odd copies of her craft club newsletter (multiple pages with lots of colour photos) every fortnight. It's a great little printer. We keep it running all the time and it rarely has any problems. We go through reams of A4.
    You're wondering - Ink costs?
    We fitted a Continuous Ink System and the cost of ink is negligible (even here in Oz), and with our heaviest photo printing runs we just top up the reservoirs every few months, very simple.
    Running an inkjet without a CIS is madness. With one, the absolute complete opposite. If you are about to buy a new inkjet first check to see if there is a CIS for that model (eg eBay) and don't buy it if there isn't.
    Inkjet_with_CIS.jpg
    Last edited by 1944GPW; March 17th, 2017 at 03:44 PM.

I'm going to second the support of Brother's inexpensive laser printers. I have an HL-2240 (older, no duplex) that I picked up at a thrift store for $10. I bought three high-yield toner cartridges for it off Amazon for $40, and I expect that it will meet my printing needs for the rest of my natural lifespan. Duplex would be nice (HL-2240D), and there's a big brother to it that does wireless and network printing as well (HL-2270DW), but really, I have no complaints.

Blog Entries

I'm curious--what's the top speed (in pages/minute) of an inkjet printer? They've always seemed very slow to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm curious--what's the top speed (in pages/minute) of an inkjet printer? They've always seemed very slow to me.
    That's true, whilst I've never measured the pages per minute they are nowhere near the speed of a laser. The main problems we encounter which I think are peculiar to having the CIS fitted is, after many pages of continuous printing the CIS cartridge receptacle can work its way out of being properly inserted. I put this down to the drag and vibration of the CIS feed tube, a soft plastic flat four-tube pipe from the reservoir which must have an unimpeded movement inside the printer.
    This over a period jiggles the cartridge out of alignment and it reports a cartidge problem. It must then be pressed firmly back down.
    The other thing to be careful of is to never lift the reservoir above the level of the print head or it can flood. Our printer stays in the one place and the reservoir is supported on some old paperbacks (the Aho Sethi Ullman 'Dragon' book on compiler design in our case, my wife and I both still have our Uni copies ).

I've a couple more WF-2510's I've got very cheap, as spares. I've started to modify one to better support the CIS by cutting the panel molding out from the right side of the carriage, and modified the hinges to allow it to swing back further for easier access to the gubbins. I also trimmed the scanner cover pegs to make it easier to remove and place books on, and the front pull-out paper holder so it can be flicked back in (it is near a doorway and gets walked into).
    Another thing yet to be done is to screw some aluminium angle to the upper edges to give greater to support for book scanning. I keep a couple of hard drives as weights next to the printer to put on books when doing this. Lastly a bracket fixed to the side of the printer itself to hold the reservoir so it can be moved about if needed. Most of these things are yet to be done, though.
    Last edited by 1944GPW; March 17th, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Many inkjet printers are rated at the same 20+ ppm as budget laser printers. Actual print speeds seems to be closer to 5 ppm for inkjets.

Blog Entries

With inkjets, it matters what you put on the page when calculating print speeds. With lasers, it's mostly a matter of bandwidth, so print speeds are relatively constant.

Blog Entries

Quite right. The craft club newsletters take quite a while to print (and there are a lot of them) but a simple text page or a CAD drawing is fast.

I can sometimes print a page faster on a dot matrix than printing a single page with one of my laser printers. The dot matrix doesn't have to warm up, it prints right away.

I almost think an inkjet could do that, but I think the ones I have do some sort of cleaning cycle before printing. I don't quite recall because it's been almost 15 years since I used one.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

All this ranting I hope you don't end up with a Heart Attack, the hospital might have to produce a 3D Heart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123