Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im6100

Question im6100

I've saved four brand new im6100 from the waste bin. Also three im6101aidl white ceramics.
    There is more im stuff which I can save as well... I wonder in which machines they were used?
    There is a sbc6120 project but the 6100 doesn't have the memory controller on board if I'm correct.
    So they are not suitable for such a project. Is there any use for these im6100 chips?

Regards, Roland
    Wanted: case for Altair 8800 in good or bad shape or even a replica.

See: http://www.glitchwrks.com/2017/02/26/osi-560z-build

Great stuff (at least if you're into OSI equipment, and maybe even if you're not)!

I'd be happy to take those chips off your hands and put them to good use. I acquired and studied all of the sales and technical literature when Intersil introduced the IM6100 family, but their cost significantly exceeded by student-level paltry hobby budget. Of course, the 6120 came along and "beat the pants off them" with a higher level of integration and the 32K-word "panel memory" designed to compete with the 8/e design, whereas the 6100 was a first-foray based on the 8/I and an (alas) nonstandard I/O solution.

Blog Entries

I remember the 6100 as being notable for being a low-power CMOS design and being deployed in instrumentation applications where batteries were the sole source of power, such as the ocean bed.

Did anyone ever build their own Intercept Jr clone? Might be an interesting project for someone with spare IM6100 chips.

Those seem to be rare for single board development / demonstration computers compared to something like a KIM-1 and its successors.

Ye gods, what kind of crazy monster battery is that? I didn't know they even made removable cells in that size.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Ye gods, what kind of crazy monster battery is that? I didn't know they even made removable cells in that size.
    April 1st is not for a few weeks yet. Probably four D or C cells inside a plastic sleeve to keep them in place. Not a single long cell.

This manual says (4x) D-cells. The unit shown in this manual has a different PCB layout using (3x) SRAM chips instead of (12x), and with (3x) expansion slots instead of (1x).

http://www.jkearney.com/sbc6120/Inte...Jr._Manual.pdf

Okay, that makes a bit more sense...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Nice that Intercept jr. board. But I'm afraid that it is the same level of fun as a z80 microprofessor.
    Fun to have and to play with for a while. And then it disappears into the closet...

But that OSI 560Z looks more usable. You can even run pdp8 programs on it.

btw, I found 5 more of these 6100 chips only these are H m3-6100c-5 datecode 7739.
    I think these are Harris versions.
    Wanted: case for Altair 8800 in good or bad shape or even a replica.

Blog Entries

Yes, it would be I think four D cells in a plastic sleeve. We had a Sony shortwave radio back in the 70s using the same idea that required two of these tubes (total of eight) D cells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast