Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What diskettes will work with 1541 diskette drive for C64?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Alternately, I would ditch the IEC altogether and either add parallel GPIB
    Yes! I support this!

I think I have one of those punches, somewhere.

ISTR that, back in the day, there were suggestions that turning disks over was bad, because the upside down disk spun the wrong way against the nap of the lining material.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish500 View Post
    Yes! I support this!
    Lots of C64 IEEE cartridges or multi-purpose adapters (e.g. BusCard etc.) out there...

Some examples:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64_peripherals

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Lots of C64 IEEE cartridges or multi-purpose adapters (e.g. BusCard etc.) out there...

Some examples:
    Except that no one who has one wants to let go of it.

Someone please fix that wiki. The 1526 is not a daisy wheel printer; it's dot matrix.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; March 20th, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post

Some examples:
    I have these:

Still...it never hurts to have new options...

Quote Originally Posted by Bish500 View Post
    I have these:

Still...it never hurts to have new options...
    This day and age I don't think an IEEE drive on a C64 makes much sense. If you want to run C64 software from floppy you'll need a 1541 or something that emulates it well. For cheap and simple convenience some type of SD2IEC, uIEC etc drive would come in very handy, or if you have money to burn then a 1541Ultimate.

That being said, for anyone with a PET and a C64 that want to share a single drive, then an IEEE interface for the C64 might make sense if you can find an IEEE drive (2031, 4040, 8050, 8250, SFD-1001) to share. Those C64-LINK carts are quite nice. They are small and do the job. I'm also fond of the BI Buscard IEEE interfaces. In fact, I know of a projected to clone the Buscard so perhaps there might hope for those looking.

If you can wait there will be the PETSD-DUO that supports both IEEE and IEC (serial) or the PETBUS which looks quite promising. There really is quite the choice these days!

Steve
    WANTED: CBM-II hardware or software, PET software

We should have migrated away from the 1541 25 years ago.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

If you use a cleaning disk, be sure it is for a single sided drive. The cleaning disk will tear up the top pressure pad. Some cleaning disks had a cover over the top side hole that could be removed for use with double sided drives. Most of the cleaning disks I have either were meant for double sided drives or the cover was already removed when I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    ISTR that, back in the day, there were suggestions that turning disks over was bad, because the upside down disk spun the wrong way against the nap of the lining material.
    Yes, the story goes that the inside of the disk would collect all dirt in a given corner of the sleeve. Spinning the other way around would make the dirt go elsewhere.
    I find that highly unlikely really, given the way most sleeves look on the inside. There doesn't seem to be much of a 'direction' or 'flow' of anything.
    I never had trouble with using double-sided disks anyway.
    In fact, most of my disks still work today, and they are 25-30 years old, and generally of the 'white label' persuasion. That's more than I can say for most of my 3.5" disks that I never flipped.

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    If you use a cleaning disk, be sure it is for a single sided drive. The cleaning disk will tear up the top pressure pad. Some cleaning disks had a cover over the top side hole that could be removed for use with double sided drives. Most of the cleaning disks I have either were meant for double sided drives or the cover was already removed when I got it.
    Presumably the top hole could be covered with thin plastic and tape, to prevent that?