Image Map Image Map

Thread: UCC 1035 Terminal?

Default UCC 1035 Terminal?

Came across this old fella in my uncle's basement. It says "UCC 1035 Terminal - University Computing Company" across the front. I remember him telling me that it had some computing abilities beyond just being a typewriter. Anyone know anything else more about them? Or their potential value?

Thanks!

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Blog Entries

It looks like an IBM golfball console printer so has no compute power on its own. The are reasonably rare, but I wouldn't say valuable. Most folks don't have the space. It will be gummed up and need a service. If you have an APL golfball (it appears to have APL symbols stuck on the key fronts) it might be worth more. Some one was asking about on the green keys list .....

http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/gre...st/037022.html
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Yeah, not trying to assume that you are currently interested in selling but if that is true I'd be more than interested (And I'm not too far away!) Both me and a friend on the coast have been looking for one for a number of years. I'll mention this thread to him.
    Last edited by NeXT; March 20th, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Thanks for the info. I was shocked at how heavy it was when I tried to move it. Definitely a beast to store. I'm going to test it out later today and how it's doing.

Blog Entries

So how did the terminal behave?
    = Excellent space heater

To a degree, yes! It powered on, and the keys were responsive, however the ball didn't seem to want to move along the page except with the "/" I believe. Here's a picture for those interested:

IMG_1163.jpg

Also found an Acoustic Coupler. Thanks to NeXT for helping me identify this. Tech from before my time.

IMG_1164.jpg

Thousand years ago I rebuilt a bunch of GTE data system terminals that used a IBM style print head (Ball) along with a tape drive for cashing data. The ball works with two steel tapes with one controlling tilt and the other rotation. This was all long ago but somehow thought you had two tilt solenoids and three for rotation and using that five bit code they can select any character on the ball. Also the things run at a weird baud rate like 143.5 or something like that but there was electronics to translate from ASCI to IBM code and convert the baud rate. The GTE stuff ran at 300 baud and think they had some small amount of memory to deal with the translation from 300 down to 143.5, or maybe it was 134.5? The shaft that runs thru the center of the print carriage rotates one complete revolution each time that a character is printed and also advances the print carriage. Saw the same error when the two bushings needed a little oil on the carriage but you will need to clean the drive shaft and bushings on the carriage and lightly oil the and then it will work. Don’t know about that system but most of the IBM print systems I have seen you can remove the top cover and there will be two mounting spacers built in the case that allows you to place the printer on its back and there was a little hand wheel that would screw into the main drive sprocket and with the power off and the transport on its back by turning the wheel you can push down the tilt and rotate solenoids and manually run the printer thru its steps. When the tilt or rotate bands were broken you had to do this to make cretin that everything was working correctly. It’s been at least thirty years that I have done any of this so more then likely forgotten something but maybe that will help.