Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple II+ w/ color tv?

Default Apple II+ w/ color tv?

After 34 yrs we have an Apple II+ again, after many Macs since then. Came with an Apple Monitor III green monochrome CRT. What would be needed to use it with a 19" color crt Sylvania TV that we have kicking around, for game use? It came with a SUP "R" Mod II video interface, used with the Monitor III, and a Sekon video card (but no software driver for it). Please advise and thanks!

PS the cpu is an A2S1048 48k version if it matters.

Nothing. Plug it in and turn it on. The Suprmod modulates to channel 3 or 4, IIRC.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

if your Sylvania has composite inputs, you dont even need the sup'r mod. it'll give you a better picture if you plug it in directly.

if it only has an RF input, you have what you need...but with how disposable CRT televisions are nowadays i'd just go out on the curb and swap it out for a nicer model.

I drove past a pile today, three wide by three high. It was tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I drove past a pile today, three wide by three high. It was tempting...
    i've been scooping up every higher-end Trinitron i see...and cant resist the 70's/80's units regardless. If only they didnt take up so much damn space!

The Trinitrons weigh too much for this old back. I remember those days as a Sony authorized TV repairman.

Larry G

I've been seeing an unusually high failure rate among Trinitron tubes.

I pitched three dozen or so CRT TVs a few years back. I just don't have the space anymore. I would like a 13" colour set with channel knobs on the front for my Apple ][+, someday. But those are all long, long gone.

Are you sure the tubes are failing and not just caps or a broken solder joint. I just rebuilt two Sony KV-9200 TVs for my VCF exhibit. Other than a bad transistor on one, the electrolytic caps all needed changing including the .47 500v one across the tube. Some of the caps were hidden so I used a check list. I also had to redo most of the solder connections on the boards. You could see what a bad soldering job Sony did when they were built. Not enough solder, Easy to break. I actually though about trying to reflow the boards since that would also be good for the ceramic caps, but in the end even touching a ceramic cap to resolder it will reset its value from ageing.

Maybe these old 1975 color TVs are different than the 80's Sony ones, but I'd always try to save a monitor or tv before giving up.

So it will display in full color as is? Nice.

re: CRT TVs - we have this hardly used 19" Sylvania that I want to replace with a flat screen, freeing it up for the Apple II+, and also a 32" Toshiba CRT from around 2005 in our bedroom that also works perfectly and has a great picture but we replaced it with a nice and thin and light 32" flat panel Toshiba, now we can't even GIVE away the CRT model... when I was a kid ('50s-60s) only rich people had color TV... what a country!