Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple II+ w/ color tv?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
    Are you sure the tubes are failing and not just caps or a broken solder joint. I just rebuilt two Sony KV-9200 TVs for my VCF exhibit. Other than a bad transistor on one, the electrolytic caps all needed changing including the .47 500v one across the tube. Some of the caps were hidden so I used a check list. I also had to redo most of the solder connections on the boards. You could see what a bad soldering job Sony did when they were built. Not enough solder, Easy to break. I actually though about trying to reflow the boards since that would also be good for the ceramic caps, but in the end even touching a ceramic cap to resolder it will reset its value from ageing.

Maybe these old 1975 color TVs are different than the 80's Sony ones, but I'd always try to save a monitor or tv before giving up.
    Very low emission from the green gun in every Trinitron TV I've worked on in the last decade, which includes every one I've owned. I don't know if this is really inherent to Trinitrons or if I've just been that unlucky.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I would like a 13" colour set with channel knobs on the front for my Apple ][+, someday. But those are all long, long gone.
    i just rescued one from a garage sale for $10 (probably overpaid, but i wanted that size) just last year. its a Sears, no idea who actually made it, but nice colorful picture still...oversaturated if anything. They are out there!

Quote Originally Posted by A-ko View Post
    i just rescued one from a garage sale for $10 (probably overpaid, but i wanted that size) just last year. its a Sears, no idea who actually made it, but nice colorful picture still...oversaturated if anything. They are out there!
    I've been looking for a long time. There don't seem to be any round here. Plenty of nice monochrome ones that size, and lots of colour sets just too big to set on top of my ][+ where it sits. But I haven't given up.

Oversaturation was pretty much the way they all looked back then. That, and they weren't quite in tune. Most people even turned the colour control up too high on their composite monitors. That was what I remember always seeing anyway.

Some of the early suprmod RF modulators put out signals in the UHF range (channels 14 and higher) rather than VHF. They discontinued these by about 1980 due to excessive RFI interference they produced. I remember having trouble watching some stations when the A2 was on nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by pcjunky View Post
    Some of the early suprmod RF modulators put out signals in the UHF range (channels 14 and higher) rather than VHF. They discontinued these by about 1980 due to excessive RFI interference they produced. I remember having trouble watching some stations when the A2 was on nearby.
    Whoa! bizarre. Was this before some sort of standardization or were they just doing their own thing? I've never owned anything that output RF to channels other than 3 or 4 (possibly 2).

19" tv(s) tubes are great for restoring arcade games of the 80s

Ya, picked up a 19" Sylvania for $89 at BB when they were selling them still, maybe 7-8 yrs ago? Still have it for just that purpose. Must be some around on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by A-ko View Post
    Whoa! bizarre. Was this before some sort of standardization or were they just doing their own thing? I've never owned anything that output RF to channels other than 3 or 4 (possibly 2).
    From what I recall, many pre-FCC-crackdown modulators were UHF. I don't know why they stopped. I'm not sure why they ever did it. Low VhF is so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    From what I recall, many pre-FCC-crackdown modulators were UHF. I don't know why they stopped. I'm not sure why they ever did it. Low VhF is so much easier.
    I think this poster had probably hit the mark :

Quote Originally Posted by pcjunky View Post
    It always seemed to me that VHF channels output a stronger signal than UHF channels. I have seen Sup'R'Mod II's indicate they output on Channel 33. While Channel 33 may have been unused in Cupertino, the same was probably untrue in many other parts of the country. The signal in the case of the Apple II may have been too strong and caused disturbances elsewhere like the one reported by pcjunky. The FCC would have to listen to complaints if your neighbor could not watch his programs when you were tinkering on your computer.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

A UHF transmitter like that is naturally prone to far less interference problems than a VHF one, unless poorly designed.