Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trivector minicomputer / Megatronics disc drives

Question Trivector minicomputer / Megatronics disc drives

Hello everyone,

Wednesday I'm going to pickup this mini computer. I've been told that it is a Trivector computer.
    The drives are Megatronics disk pack drives. One internal and one swappable disk.

disk 1.JPGdisk 2.JPG

Are there any safety precautions before you can put the machine into the car?
    I'm somewhat worried about the internal disk. Do they lock automatic at turn off?

And by the way, does anyone recognize this machine or know anything about it?

Regards, Roland
    Wanted: case for Altair 8800 in good or bad shape or even a replica.

Google turns up some mentions of a "Trivector Triton 4A" minicomputer, but unfortunately the only page that purports to have any details has vanished down the Total Site Redesign And Possibly Re-Adding The Content At Some Distant Future Date hole.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I've got nothing. Turns out I used to live near Trivector, but never met them.

Seems that the most pressing question is about locking the heads. Is there any way that you can ask the folks you're getting them from to provide a couple of model numbers. Googling on what we have now throws up way too much chaff to find any wheat.

Blog Entries

The disk drive looks to be a rebadged DEC RL02 or something very similar.

Trivector seems to have been in the bioscience area, offering its Trilab product which used the Triton micro (I suspect that if you open that thing, you'll find a commodity microprocessor at its heart).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The disk drive looks to be a rebadged DEC RL02 or something very similar.
    That's what I thought as well. Reminds me of the rebadged PDP-11/73 mass-spectrometer control system I salvaged a bunch of goodies from a few years back - I wonder if this isn't a similar arrangement.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

This Trivector computer was used at a dentist for administration.
    The owner told me he paid 100.000 guilders for it (about 50.000 dollar)

Somehow I expect to find a somewhat standard machine or clone in it too...
    As soon as I have the machine I will show some pics and more information.

But can I transport the machine like this or do I have to lock the drives somehow?

Regards, Roland
    Wanted: case for Altair 8800 in good or bad shape or even a replica.

Blog Entries

At a minimum, remove the drive pack. You should be okay if you avoid severe shocks during transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Huisman View Post
    The drives are Megatronics disk pack drives.
    which appears to be a Diablo Series 40

Blog Entries

There's a service manual for the Model 40 on Bitsavers. Under "Unpacking instructions", there is a mention of a "shipping clamp" to prevent the head carriage from bouncing around during shipment. If you're really concerned and are secure in your ability to work on this beast off-site, you might be able to secure the carriage with a cable zip tie. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it if you're doing the driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    There's a service manual for the Model 40 on Bitsavers. Under "Unpacking instructions", there is a mention of a "shipping clamp" to prevent the head carriage from bouncing around during shipment. If you're really concerned and are secure in your ability to work on this beast off-site, you might be able to secure the carriage with a cable zip tie. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it if you're doing the driving.
    I just checked the manual, and the Series 40 also uses a head load solenoid, so even if the carriage moves it won't smash into the disk. It does have a fixed platter though, so you should be careful moving it.