Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing and Running Quake Expansion Shrak

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Well, I downloaded Memtest86+ and created the bootable floppy disk. I then tried to boot the Cyrix machine off the floppy. As the machine starts to read the floppy, I get the message I am supposed to get:

But then the machine reboots and the cycle starts over again. The machine will continue to reboot and I never see the Memtest screen. If I allow the machine to boot normally off the hard disk there are no problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Joe
    Did you try that disk in another machine to determine that it's not the disk itself?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    Is it possible the game is dying due to too much RAM?
    That's ludicrous.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    I've seen similar behaviour with memtest, but on a 486. Never did track down the cause. Briefly saw "Press F1 for failsafe mode..." then around it went again, whether I pressed F1 or not.
    I got the same response when I tried Memtest86 on an AMD DX/4 133.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Did you try that disk in another machine to determine that it's not the disk itself?
    I tried the disk in three different machines:

Cyrix 6x6: Memtest starts to load and then the system reboots. The blue Memtest screen may flash for the shortest instant.

AMD DX/4: Memtest starts to load and then the system reboots. The blue Memtest screen shows for a little longer but way less than a second.

Intel Pentium 90: Memtest worked fine.

Anyone run Memtest86+ v5.01 successfully on a non-Intel processor?

Thanks...Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    Anyone run Memtest86+ v5.01 successfully on a non-Intel processor?
    I've run it on a Cyrix 233 MMX and an AMD dual core.

I've got an older version if you want it. I think it's 3.01.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I've run it on a Cyrix 233 MMX and an AMD dual core.

I've got an older version if you want it. I think it's 3.01.
    I just downloaded some earlier versions. The earliest is 2.0, a few other 2.x and some 4.x versions. There were no 3.x versions. I will try to find the time to create floppy disks for a couple different versions and see what happens. If you want to send your version to me, attach it to a private message and I can try that version as well.

Meanwhile I still need to install Quake on a machine with an Intel Pentium so I can test the original issue of this thread.

Thanks...Joe

That's ludicrous.
    Not as much as it sounds. I've hit barriers at 16MB, 32MB and 64MB with various games and applications. 64MB can be an issue with some HIMEM.SYS versions and RAM drives, for example.

If a game/application isn't programmed with the future in mind, memory checks can easily run out of digits. It's no accident that DOSBox defaults to a 16MB emulated machine. Some games don't like finding more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12