Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Installing and Running Quake Expansion Shrak

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    I also have two later versions of QEMM which I have never tested - QEMM 8.0 and QEMM 97.
    Well, WTF are you waiting for! After all, it's not fine wine -- it doesn't get better with age.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Well, WTF are you waiting for! After all, it's not fine wine -- it doesn't get better with age.
    It's the old adage..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

    Unless and until I load a new DOS machine, there's no reason to update my existing machines. Plus, most times when I load a new DOS machine, I copy a lot of stuff from an existing DOS machine or an "install" CD...and that includes DOS and the QEMM software (along with a vanilla install of Windows 3.1).

    Joe

  3. #23

    Default

    As long as I have a Shrak thread, let me ask this question.

    There is one point in the game where I need to make a jump. It's not a hard jump, but I cannot make it - I always come up short.

    What I am wondering is...could this be at all related to the CPU (Cyrix 686) I am using? Is it possible the CPU could make a difference as how a game behaves in a situation like this?

    I am trying to join a Quake forum, but it's taking forever to get activated.

    Thanks...Joe

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    As long as I have a Shrak thread, let me ask this question.

    There is one point in the game where I need to make a jump. It's not a hard jump, but I cannot make it - I always come up short.

    What I am wondering is...could this be at all related to the CPU (Cyrix 686) I am using? Is it possible the CPU could make a difference as how a game behaves in a situation like this?
    Stop trying to blame the equipment!

    This shortcoming is strictly based on your ability... or lack thereof.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

  5. #25

    Default

    I got the answer to my question on a Quake forum. It is described in this article which I don't understand completely but I get the general meaning..

    http://archive.is/jaHRy

    It seems Quake is sensitive to the processor as a faster processor will allow you to run faster and jump higher.

    Joe

  6. #26

    Default

    That's not how I read it.

    It's based on FPS which is configurable in the game.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That's not how I read it.

    It's based on FPS which is configurable in the game.
    You can set resolution, but not frame rate. After all, why would you ever set the frame set to less than the maximum?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Frame rate is adjustable, a quick Google leads to:
    https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_seri...ate_in_quake_1
    Now you need to see how it's done in Shrak. Most games have an upper limit to the frame rate to take some of the load off the video card. 60 or 72 fps is common. Usually adjusted by editing a .ini file.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaLottaStuff View Post
    Frame rate is adjustable, a quick Google leads to:
    https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_seri...ate_in_quake_1
    Now you need to see how it's done in Shrak. Most games have an upper limit to the frame rate to take some of the load off the video card. 60 or 72 fps is common. Usually adjusted by editing a .ini file.
    Thanks for that link. On the Quake forum, I need to ask how to adjust the frame rate. There's a lot I need to learn about Quake; setting up or changing variables is just one of them. I tried putting cl-maxfps into the CFG file but I got an "unknown command" message.

    Thanks...Joe

  10. #30

    Default

    I got the problem resolved thanks to the guys over on the Quakeone forum. Seems I needed to turn down the gravity setting so I could make that one jump...and maybe other places where the Cyrix just isn't fast enough.

    http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...-question.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •