Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing and Running Quake Expansion Shrak

Default Installing and Running Quake Expansion Shrak

I just recently picked up Shrak, which is an expansion for Quake 1. It is a game which requires a Pentium, DOS 5.0 and 8mb of memory. The machine I am trying to use is running DOS 6.20, 64mb of memory and using a Cyrix running at 120MHz. It runs Quake just fine.

I am having problems installing the software as I am getting page fault errors due to "insufficient memory". Has anyone else installed this game? Is there a DOS utility which checks the validity of the memory in the machine?

Even though the install gives me errors I can still run the game, although all I get is the view of my weapon and most of the rest of the screen is white.

Thanks...Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    I just recently picked up Shrak, which is an expansion for Quake 1. It is a game which requires a Pentium, DOS 5.0 and 8mb of memory. The machine I am trying to use is running DOS 6.20, 64mb of memory and using a Cyrix running at 120MHz. It runs Quake just fine.

I am having problems installing the software as I am getting page fault errors due to "insufficient memory". Has anyone else installed this game? Is there a DOS utility which checks the validity of the memory in the machine?

Even though the install gives me errors I can still run the game, although all I get is the view of my weapon and most of the rest of the screen is white.

Thanks...Joe
    Don't know. But, try it all on different machine. Don't rule out the possibility of a corrupt file or two in the add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Don't know. But, try it all on different machine. Don't rule out the possibility of a corrupt file or two in the add-on.
    Just to clarify...this is not a download but the original CD of Shrak. That hopefully reduces the possibility of a corrupt file. But I will load it on another DOS machine and see what happens. I'll try basic Quake first and then try to install Shrak.

As to the error I am getting during the install, here is the basic text:

A PAGE FAULT HAS OCCURRED DUE TO INSUFFICIENT MEMORY
    absolute address=1006F000 DGROUP relative address=0006F000
    error code=0006

Then it shows all the register contents.

Is there anything in this message which give me a clue as to exactly what issue is occurring? The error occurs twice with the same text in both cases. It seems the install is executing the same program twice in what seems to be an attempt to unpack two different files. Once the first error occurs, the install continues and the second error gets generated.

But the install never aborts, it seems to go to completion. But if I execute the program, I get (basically) a white screen with a few graphics. I can move around and even shoot, but there's a lot missing from the screen.

Thanks...Joe
    Last edited by Grandcheapskate; March 21st, 2017 at 11:40 AM.

Why load it on another DOS machine? Quake runs fine under Windows if you use WinQuake, and as a DOS game it's portable. Just copy the subdirectory from one PC to another. Install Quake and Shrak on some modern hardware and then copy it to the DOS machine.

Blog Entries

Joe, don't rule out bad media. Last year, while building out the A7N8X-E Deluxe, I ran into a situation with a Doom 3 file that wouldn't unpack:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...A7N8X-E+Deluxe

If SHRAK installs on another machine, then you know for sure that you have some compatibility issues. Also, you may want to do a memory check even though it appears to running okay.

Blog Entries

I

Thanks...Joe
    So according to this dude (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWxQ6tU8vw) the textures have to manually re-added to the game. He mentions it in the first few minutes of the video.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Is there a DOS utility which checks the validity of the memory in the machine?
    Memtest86+
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLottaStuff View Post
    Why load it on another DOS machine? Quake runs fine under Windows if you use WinQuake, and as a DOS game it's portable. Just copy the subdirectory from one PC to another. Install Quake and Shrak on some modern hardware and then copy it to the DOS machine.
    Exactly what I will do...a simple copy of base Quake to another machine and then try installing Shrak. Another consideration is whether I am having an issue because the machine has a Cyrix rather than Intel processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Joe, don't rule out bad media. Last year, while building out the A7N8X-E Deluxe, I ran into a situation with a Doom 3 file that wouldn't unpack:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...A7N8X-E+Deluxe

If SHRAK installs on another machine, then you know for sure that you have some compatibility issues. Also, you may want to do a memory check even though it appears to running okay.
    A memory check will be the first thing I do. I was going to just swap out the four 16mb memory sticks but because of the shape of the case, I have to remove the motherboard in order to get at one of the memory modules. So I'll do a memory check first.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    So according to this dude (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWxQ6tU8vw) the textures have to manually re-added to the game. He mentions it in the first few minutes of the video.
    Interesting. My knowledge of the inner workings of these games is very limited. But I did hear him mention there is some program on the Shrak CD which is supposed to copy whatever is needed from the ID files. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Memtest86+
    Thank you. I'll be running this when time permits.

Joe
    Last edited by Grandcheapskate; March 23rd, 2017 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Memtest86+
    Well, I downloaded Memtest86+ and created the bootable floppy disk. I then tried to boot the Cyrix machine off the floppy. As the machine starts to read the floppy, I get the message I am supposed to get:

But then the machine reboots and the cycle starts over again. The machine will continue to reboot and I never see the Memtest screen. If I allow the machine to boot normally off the hard disk there are no problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Joe

Well, I downloaded Memtest86+ and created the bootable floppy disk. I then tried to boot the Cyrix machine off the floppy. As the machine starts to read the floppy, I get the message I am supposed to get:

But then the machine reboots and the cycle starts over again. The machine will continue to reboot and I never see the Memtest screen. If I allow the machine to boot normally off the hard disk there are no problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Joe
    I've seen similar behaviour with memtest, but on a 486. Never did track down the cause. Briefly saw "Press F1 for failsafe mode..." then around it went again, whether I pressed F1 or not.

Is it possible the game is dying due to too much RAM? Perhaps it's doing a check and running out of space for the response, as 8MB to 64MB is a big jump. Maybe you could try with 16MB in there.