Image Map Image Map

Thread: 1984 Samsung Amber Monitor

Default 1984 Samsung Amber Monitor

Hey, got an old Amber monitor in my stuff, wanted to show off. It's pretty nice, has a composite connection so I can connect it to the PS2 and I don't know what all.

Here's a video I made of it, sorry for the weird narration, weird shaking, and everything lol but it does show the monitor itself:
    https://youtu.be/r2JhEhFaRhc

beautiful! I'd love to have a collection of these monochrome monitors...

I liked it.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Nice monitor, time when Samsung was doing good quality things. Just before fridge era.
    www.appleclub.pl - please visit my site

Had a nice Samsung EGA monitor with my XT "turbo" clone. Worked quite nicely.

I really liked that system. Had an Adaptec 2070a RLL hard drive controller paired to an ST-238 32Mb hard drive, along with a 16550 UART. Worked quite nicely as a Fidonet BBS. Eventually moved to a 286-12 motherboard in the same box for a while with 16-bit components.

Still have the box for that monitor. I keep old books in it.

I had a ton of Amdek mono and colour monitors that I wish I still had. I did keep two; one amber and one colour. But the amber one is totally unusable; all that's left is the case and the face of the CRT. I used to have a security camera hidden inside it.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Sounds like a good use for one It's a shame it's not usable though!

I bought an old VGA to composite converter box yesterday on ebay, I'll see if I can get an old PC to connect to it suitably.

I will say though, nothing about this Samsung device screams "quality" to me, I'm impressed it's still working but it still seems crudely designed compared to some devices like an '84 IBM CRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    Sounds like a good use for one It's a shame it's not usable though!
    I did it because in 1994, I literally couldn't give the thing away. In retrospect, on one hand I wish I hadn't. But on the other, I would've ended up sending it to a landfill if I hadn't. The saddest part is I had to wreck three of them to end up with one with an intact face. One was a Wang, and one from a DisplayWriter (both also worthless at the time).

It did work well. No one (at that time) ever suspected a computer monitor of watching them.

Unfortunately, the person I was trying to catch (landlord) was on to me. He probably didn't see the camera, but he did see a VCR without a TV, recording. Because he (if it was him) ejected the tape, tore out a few yards of tape, and reinserted it. Not something anyone would normally do. In fact, you not only have to be very determined, you have to be pretty knowledgeable to know how to do that with a VHS tape. You can't just grab it and yank tape out.
    Be polite and I may let you live.