Image Map Image Map

Thread: EGA or VGA for 5154?

Default EGA or VGA for 5154?

I obtained another 5160 IBM: chassis, power supply, board + CPU "for parts only". Speaker tag says April of '86. Included were full-height IBM HD + 1/2 height 5.25 + 3.5 drives, IBM FDC, IBM HDC, AST Six-Pack Plus and a VIP MGA-III / P combination monochrome Hercules adapter and parallel port, which I mistook for a combo serial and parallel port at first, since it was so small and unfamiliar.

Monochrome will do fine for testing and setup as I have an IBM 5151 but I would eventually like to have a color display. I obtained another IBM monitor, a 5154, reportedly DOA, which will be a project in itself. But the question is: If I am looking for a color video "card" does the 5154 limit me to EGA? I looked on MZD and saw that some VGA cards will work with the 5160, but will they work with a 5154?

Thanks for your replies.

-CH-

YES and NO.

EGA is TTL

VGA is Analog

The 5154 may work with a CGA card... when it's ready to work.

Some (16-bit) VGA cards will work with the 5160 -- but not with the 5154/EGA.

BTW, I have a Paradise EGA 480 card for sale.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

The ATI VGA Wonder 16 will work in a 5160.

It's an extremely versatile 16 bit card, but will work in an 8 bit or 16 bit slot.
    The card will drive ANY monitor, mono/cga/ega/vga.

VGAWonderBoxFrontLower.jpgVGAWonderBoxRearLowesttest.jpgVGAWonderModes.jpg

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm a long way from needing a color card but I'll keep my eyes out and hope to learn more about their abilities.