Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modern Prebuilt PCs are too garish.

How about a Dell Vostro 260 Mini Tower? It has a removable Intel HD 2000 card. I'm cautious of the RAM slots though. Only seems to have two. Its from 2011 rather than 2008 and has an i5.

2. Default

I have never heard of a removable Intel HD 2000 card. Isn't Intel HD 2000 graphics something integrated into the CPU? You can override it by adding a graphics card to the system but I don't think you can remove it short of removing the CPU.

Vostro is Dell's 'business value' line. The machines are basic and inexpensive but not really expandable. The kind of machine you throw away and replace if it stops working. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want -- my wife buys Vostro PCs for her office because they just need basic PCs that will run their one business application and nothing else. But I would never buy one for myself because my own needs are significantly higher.

-ken

Oh. I guess I misunderstood.

I won't win I guess but I entered this giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    I have never heard of a removable Intel HD 2000 card. Isn't Intel HD 2000 graphics something integrated into the CPU? You can override it by adding a graphics card to the system but I don't think you can remove it short of removing the CPU.

Vostro is Dell's 'business value' line. The machines are basic and inexpensive but not really expandable. The kind of machine you throw away and replace if it stops working. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want -- my wife buys Vostro PCs for her office because they just need basic PCs that will run their one business application and nothing else. But I would never buy one for myself because my own needs are significantly higher.

-ken
    I'm guessing the card he's talking about is one of those strange-o passthrough cards similar to those from the GX-620 days that adds a DVI port to the built-in intel video by pulling the signal through the PCI/PCI-E Bus somehow. I remember actually digging in parts bins for those things back in the day because someone would get a new Dell Monitor and wanted the clearer picture DVI provides over VGA.

I wasn't. I'm not even sure now if the Vostro has a PCIe slot or not. It has a manual I read where you can remove the "expansion card" and I read that as meaning taking out the Intel HD card. I was wrong.

I think I will look at a HP Pro 3400 I guess. I'm looking at www.connectall.org since I'm low income. They sell PCs to nonprofits and individuals below the poverty line. I'll be sure and ask them a lot of questions before getting a different computer.

Hm, doesn't look like a bad site, but some of the prices are higher than the going rates on eBay. For example try to avoid buying a Dell E6400, it's a great computer but the E6410 is much better and not always more expensive.