Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: running 5x86 cpu in IBM 5150 with Inboard/386

Default running 5x86 cpu in IBM 5150 with Inboard/386

hello
    Here is some news in my slowly ongoing hobby - of making the most out of the old 5150 motherboard.
    In marts 2015 i did run 486 with inboard 386/pc in a pc-clone. (*1)
    And cyrix 5x86 were the logic goal for this upgrade. But i had to acquire an cyrix 586 cpu and a VRM (voltage-regulator-modul).
    Took some time to get the right product at the right price , and i did read some PDF's about the 486 cpu.(http://datasheets.chipdb.org/IBM/x86/486/)
    My only notice were that Cyrix 586 do not like signal on J1 pin, and therefore made a socket extension with no connection on the J1 pin.
    The hardware upgrade is made of :
    IBM 5150 motherboard
    Inboard 386/pc, 386+387 removed
    extension sockets 132 pin (to make clearance for the RAM add on card)
    transcomputer board (386->486 upgrade)
    VRM , set to 3,45 volt and *2 clock
    socket extension 168 pin with pin J1 removed
    cyrix 586 GP100

-DSCN4729.jpg -DSCN4734.jpg

But, it did not work in my IBM5150. Only the "VGA" logo appeared on the screen , then the pc halted.
    The answer were of course the BIOS. The old original BIOS is not compatible with newer then the cyrix486-PGA132 cpu-class. The real Intel486 and cyrix 586 needs a newer BIOS.

-DSCN4705-.jpg

Lucky i did buy a DIY kit with the "Anonymous" bios ,and here two
    days ago it worked for the first time

Furthermore i have experimented with Netroom3 and the Inboard 386/pc. It runs wery sweet. You only have to edit in the CUSTOMIZE.INF file. The line "^inbrdpc" has to be added (otherwise rm386 has no extended memory to see when it
    starts). Cloaked BIOS and VGA no not function, but the PC switches to protected mode and the PC feels more quick. Could be fun if the virtuel BIOS could run on the Inboard , and the old PC could support a lot of new features
    When i try syscloak.exe the PC gives a message "BIOS system descriptor table missing.", but perhaps it is possible to cheat the Netroom to load anyhow ??

Now , i only have to get more juice out of the 5x86. At this moment at runs like 6 time a pc-xt
    I did a Winstone94 test and it only concludes a score of 4,4. Not a lot, the original Inboard 386 with 80386 gives a score of about 6 !
    I have not read all there is about the cyrix-586, with internal settings and so - perhaps i am lucky i can umph the speed a bit by editing setting internally in 586 ?

;Data collected by: TOPBENCH | Benchmark and detection stub | Version 0.97
    ;This file contains fingerprinting information about your computer. Please
    ;email this file to trixter@oldskool.org with a subject line of "Benchmark" to
    ;help test these routines and seed the TOPBENCH database.

[UID3336260]
    MemoryTest=507
    OpcodeTest=206
    VidramTest=993
    MemEATest=233
    3DGameTest=198
    Score=21
    CPU=Cyrix 5x86-S (clock x2 mode)
    CPUspeed=80 MHz
    BIOSinfo=unknown
    MachineModel=0000
    BIOSdate=20120502
    BIOSCRC16=3336
    VideoSystem=VGA
    VideoAdapter=VGA, unknown Chipset, 256kb Video Memory (BIOS)
    Machine=PC

-DSCN4755.jpg -DSCN4756.jpg -DSCN4760.jpg -DSCN4761.jpg

...and yes, dispite it is the same hardware pictured above - the different applications do not quite agree about the speed of the CPU. One remark, the CPU do not get hot...

thanks to everyone supporting this forum, and thanks to those quotes and refers to my posts.

other links in my upgrading the IBM5150:
    (*1)http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...on-Inboard-386
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...Inboard-386-pc

Blog Entries

6 times a PC XT was about what a PC AT ran at, no? You're probably doing pretty close to the limit.

I swear, if someone manages to get Doom to run on a 5150...... lol
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

@ Chuck(G), yes if the CPU depends on the BUS speed, then i am at the limit, but if some setting can open for more cpu speed ?

@ evildragon , have to try that one out some day

/cimonvg

hello - well Doom 1.9 demo runs
    ...not fast, rather slow. I did count 200 frames and it took 86 seconds, it gives 2,3 frames per second

-DSCN4765.jpg -DSCN4768.jpg

...AND the keyboard did not function, but with the mouse i did wander around in the castle....
    /cimonvg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cimonvg View Post
    @ Chuck(G), yes if the CPU depends on the BUS speed, then i am at the limit, but if some setting can open for more cpu speed ?
    It's not the CPU that you're fighting; it's the bus and supporting devices. After all, you have to get information to the CPU somehow and get it out somehow. Or, to quote an Irish saying: "Cuir síoda ar ghabhar agus is gabhar i gcónaí é."

Quote Originally Posted by Cimonvg View Post
    hello - well Doom 1.9 demo runs
    ...not fast, rather slow. I did count 200 frames and it took 86 seconds, it gives 2,3 frames per second

-DSCN4765.jpg -DSCN4768.jpg

...AND the keyboard did not function, but with the mouse i did wander around in the castle....
    /cimonvg
    That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Slow or not, it's running Doom!
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Is the internal cache enabled? My 386 to 486 upgrade needs a driver to enable it. You can check if it is enabled with cachechk

hello nestor - pretty sure that the cache is not enabled at this point - look at the ckcpu121.exe app on screenshot above .
    - i have to look into the cache enabling
    /cimonvg

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    6 times a PC XT was about what a PC AT ran at, no? You're probably doing pretty close to the limit.
    There is still a lot of ways to go faster

Used Machine: PC XT (5160) with 8mhz bus, Inboard386 with clock-mod, Kingston 586 5V upgrade (x4 mode), 128k UMB, ET4000, SCSI (CF-HD, CD), 1.44mb floppy.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Doooooooooom

Aaaaand a bit faster now (no memory expansion though)
    IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    -Jonas
    Last edited by stynx; April 7th, 2017 at 01:13 PM.