Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help connecting C64 to a VGA monitor

Well thanks for the help, turns out i had to mess with the buttons and it works now. I dont know what I did but im sure not going to press anything on that thing ever again!

There had to be at least one hoop to jump through..... How does the C64 plug into this device? Did you wire something up to go from the Commodores din plug to the s-video plug on the device?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have a C64 that I connect to 15" Dell VGA (1024 x 760) with the exact adapter as indicated below. Works fine - no hoops to jump through.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ht=VGA+Adapter (#10)

http://www.miniinthebox.com/high-res..._2&prm=2.3.5.0
    I have one of those on my C-64 now, but it produced a rainbow artefact at the top of the screen.

I'm using an 8 pins connector (audio and S-Video) and a C=64 PAL version with a common Video & S-Video to VGA adapter, using the S-Video input. It works fine.

I also modified a VIC-20 to get the S-Video (separated chroma and luma), using the same adapter. No problem even with the VIC-20, and the resulting image after the mod is really better (very simple mod IMO).

I have the S-Video cable for my C-64, but that setup doesn't work. But I don't know if it's the C-64, the cable or the S-Video to VGA box.

In any case, I purchased a better quality Composite to VGA adaptor. We'll see what happens when that arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
    I have the S-Video cable for my C-64, but that setup doesn't work. But I don't know if it's the C-64, the cable or the S-Video to VGA box.

In any case, I purchased a better quality Composite to VGA adaptor. We'll see what happens when that arrives.
    if you have any TV with composite Video (or S-Video) input you could try to make a cable and check if the video out is coming correctly from the C=64:

https://ilesj.files.wordpress.com/20...-av-pinout.png

See the above link for the DIN connector pinout. you can use pin 1 and 6 for S-Video or pin 4 for Composite, and pin 2 (GND)

Quote Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
    I have one of those on my C-64 now, but it produced a rainbow artefact at the top of the screen.
    I'm using the same converter (at least it seems to be; nobody can say if they're identical inside), it works fine, no artifacts or rainbow at all.

Quote Originally Posted by giobbi View Post
    if you have any TV with composite Video (or S-Video) input you could try to make a cable and check if the video out is coming correctly from the C=64:
    Unfortunately, I don't have such a device any more. We upgraded our TV a couple years ago and those ports weren't on the new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by giobbi View Post
    I'm using the same converter (at least it seems to be; nobody can say if they're identical inside), it works fine, no artifacts or rainbow at all.
    I've had other people say that they have the same rainbow.

I wonder if they **look** the same, but are built by different manufacturers and/or have slightly different hardware in them.