Image Map Image Map

Thread: SWTPC 6800/6809 User Group/Mailing List?

Default SWTPC 6800/6809 User Group/Mailing List?

I acquired a SWTPC 6800 recently (finally!) and I've scanned in some of the documentation I got with it. There's still more to come but I was wondering if there is an active mailing list or user group somewhere so I can see if any of the software/manuals is not yet archived. There doesn't seem to be much activity on these computers which I find a little strange. I know of the Flex User Group and swtpc.com but they seem a bit dated. Are these the most recent archives?

Files I've uploaded so far are at my site here. I still need to take some pics and read a bunch of EPROMs that came with it. Not sure what they are for but I'll power it up soon for the first time. Looking forward to checking it out soon.

You might want to contact Bob Corsham at http://www.corshamtech.com.

smp

Blog Entries

I'm a bit surprised at how little there is out there also.. I've seen only a few SWTPC videos on youtube and the occasional user on cctalk but not very many online gatherings for SWTPC at all otherwise.

Blog Entries

I think most of the 6809 activity switched to the CoCo list which is very active.

https://pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/coco

I guess one day I should fire mine up....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Thanks for the replies. Since I saw Michael Holley and his SWTPC in the recent VCF pics, I sent him an email this morning. I checked Bob Corsham's site and he refers back tot he swtpc.com documentation archive so I think Michael is "the man" in this department I've completed uploading my manuals/documentation this morning if anyone is interested.

As for CoCo 6809 activity, does the same simple software run on an SWTPC 6809 and the CoCo? I'm still not sure how they inter-mingle even thought they do run similar processors SWTPC = 6809 and CoCo 6809E, from what I've seen.

Blog Entries

The 6809 and 6809E are software compatible. Some later CoCo3's had the Hitachi 6309 which has extra instructions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_6309

If the CoCo3 has a normal 6809 and is running OS/9 or variants thereof then I would expect some software compatibility. Not sure about Flex as the Video memory overlaps the flex memory space, but I think there were some patches (hardware & software) to allow things to work...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Congrats on scoring a real SWTPC system!

Okay, there are a couple sources of information for SWTPC machines, more specifically for the Flex operating system, but they also help with SWTPC.

First, there is the FUFU mailing list. Probably the best way to get on the list is to email fufu-owner@flexusergroup.com and ask to be added. I think Micheal Evenson is the right person to talk to.

There is also the Flex User Group web page: www.flexusergroup.com

The mailing list is excellent; the people on there know Flex and many 6800/6809 based systems. If you ask a SWTPC specific question you'll get good answers and nobody complains about it not being a Flex question.

If you've got Flex running and need more programs, check out the FUG FTP site: http://ftp.flexusergroup.com/

The username/password don't seem to be a secret, so hopefully I'm not annoying someone with publishing them. Username is flexuser, and you can guess the four-letter password if you "flex" your mind a bit. The only bad thing about the FTP site is that nothing is organized in any meaningful way, so sometimes it's not clear if a given disk image is for the 6800 or 6809. Worst case, you download a disk and find none of the binaries run on your machine. Lots of source code there so it's a goldmine of information.

Bob - K2UT
    www.corshamtech.com

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    I acquired a SWTPC 6800 recently (finally!)
    Hi,
    Thanks for uploading your documents, I bought one of these machines a few years ago. It runs the monitor fine but not much else, I have the job of getting the floppy drives to work on my 'to do one day when I have more time' list ie not this year!

Which processor boards do you have? The 6800 (which is all I have) was the original chip which supports Flex, the 6809 was a later upgrade and also allowed OS-9 (same as the Tandy Coco).

Regards,
    John

Thanks guys. I tried the fufu list but didn't hear back. I think I'll try again to subscribe when I have some time to dedicate to the machine. My SWTPC came with a 6809 on board and the 6800 card separately with a small number of other cards. One thing I need to do is take pics and make a blog posting on all that came with it. I do have some floppies marked as "DOS" but I have not yet had a chance to archive them before I try to use them. Should be an awesome machine as it looks like I have enough parts to go back to the original 6800 configuration. That's what I'm not too sure about yet.

Does the Flex user group list have up to date archives somewhere? I like to review the archives before asking anything, if possible.

Thanks again for the tips.

I don't know if there is an archive, probably is, but I don't know of it. The list is running on a private server not a commonly used list server, so the features available are up to the provider.

Contact Michael Evenson for subscription issues: http://www.evenson-consulting.com/

Bob