Image Map Image Map

Thread: DATA I/O 201 firmware

Default DATA I/O 201 firmware

Hi all,
    not really "vintage computer", but still vintage (and helps in repairing old computers too), But:
    I recently repaired a cheap and nice DATA I/O (E)EPROM programmer. Now, this one has a custom firmware with only the Xicor X2212 part code. I guess the previous owner was a company that needed only to program this particular part and wanted to avoid any possible operator error.
    All the firmware is inside a 27C256 EPROM which is socketed. So if anyone happens to have this programmer and can dump the firmware for me, I would appreciate it very much! Of course you need another programmer to dump the 201's EPROM.
    Thanks in advance and best regards
    Frank IZ8DWF

I don't have the 201 but have you joined the Data I/O group on Yahoo Groups and asked on there ?, I like the old Data I/O programmers, built like tanks.

Yes, I've joined the group and asked there. No replies.
    Frank

FWIW, I've been able to get the last (V5.2) firmware for the DATA I/O 201. There's a great guy still having all the documentation and firmware for all these old DATA I/O programmers.
    Now I've discovered that my 201 needs some more repairs: it turns out that the textool socket was not raised enough for the lever to be operated correctly, so the lever was hitting the case border and making the whole socket moving in a way that damaged the solder joints.
    I'm redoing all the connections to the socket and see if it solves the problems finally.
    I'm not sure if this problem was common to all the 201s or it's a mod someone did on my unit at one time. I've never been able to contact anyone else owning a 201 so far.
    HTH
    Frank IZ8DWF

There was often a separate piece that when under the socket to isolate the socket from the board below. It was like a special socket for the textool socket. You may be missing the socket.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    There was often a separate piece that when under the socket to isolate the socket from the board below. It was like a special socket for the textool socket. You may be missing the socket.
    Dwight
    Dwight is right. Look in a 3M Textool catalog under 'Receptacles for DIP Sockets'. If you need 28 pin receptacles for your ZIP sockets, the correct part number may be 228-1277-29-0602J. The -29 will get you the solder tail contacts without the extra mounting hole flanges on the body. It will raise handle elevation about 0.3" if that is enough.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/4...ets-ts0454.pdf

-Dave
    Last edited by dave_m; November 9th, 2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    Dwight is right. Look in a 3M Textool catalog under 'Receptacles for DIP Sockets'. If you need 28 pin receptacles for your ZIP sockets, the correct part number may be 228-1277-29-0602J. The -29 will get you the solder tail contacts without the extra mounting hole flanges on the body. It will raise handle elevation about 0.3" if that is enough.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/4...ets-ts0454.pdf

-Dave
    Yes, a socket like this exists in the PCB, infacts the textool can be easily extracted from the socket. It appears however that it's not tall enough. I've never seen another 201, but from images on ebay, it seems the textool is enough raised above the case to be operated correctly, unlike my own one.
    I've modified the case to allow the lever operation and rewired all the 28 pins on the PCB to go to the nearest pad or via, so the socket movements, if any, wouldn't harm the solder joints anymore. The programmer works perfectly as far as I could test. I've also constructed a special "loopback" 28 pin adapter to allow the internal self test know that all the pins work as espected, and it passes the self test in every step.l
    The only problem is that this last firmware revision lacks the Terminal Control feature (it allowed to operate the programmer via serial connection with a simple terminal emulator program) and only has a Computer Control option that requires an old DOS program called promlink. Now, promlink works fine, but Dosemu under linux has serial code broken since ages now, so all programs that were supposed to work with a com port can't be operated under dosemu anymore.

Oh well, I'm happy anyway

Frank IZ8DWF