Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Through-hole soldering

At a recent VCF show, someone walking by made fun of one of my Weller WXMP micro-Soldering pencil as being 'pewny'. I shrugged it off and laughed. I would much rather use a laser scalpel than a civil war hack saw in the operating room - even for the large amputations. I have plenty of big tools. It's the small ones I use the most.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

As someone else who repairs for part of their living, if you don't already have it I'd recommend grabbing a bottle of Superior #30 liquid water soluble acid flux for capacitor and battery repair. It's extremely aggressive on crud, especially once the hot iron tip hits it, and being acidic it neutralizes electrolyte from capacitors and NiCd batteries. I use it for all of my repairs involving capacitor and battery leakage. You can turn disgusting garbage like this:

to this:

Quote Originally Posted by inotarobot View Post
    Can I assume that's an Oxy-Acetylene torch you refer to ??

I use one of those to heat the big copper 2lb soldering iron, when I am trying to reflow joints on the 3/16" tinned hard drawn power wires on vintage valve radio chassis.
    No, that has gotten cost-prohibitive in recent years. I have a few old bottles of real MAPP gas that I use.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    As someone else who repairs for part of their living, if you don't already have it I'd recommend grabbing a bottle of Superior #30 liquid water soluble acid flux for capacitor and battery repair. It's extremely aggressive on crud, especially once the hot iron tip hits it, and being acidic it neutralizes electrolyte from capacitors and NiCd batteries. I use it for all of my repairs involving capacitor and battery leakage.
    Thanks for the tip. I've never used a water soluble flux, I've always used standard rosin, and then denatured alcohol for cleaning.
    Current Vintage Equipment - IBM Thinkpad 390, Asus P5A-B Cyrix Box, IBM Aptiva A12, PB 300SX, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B", VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93.
    Looking for: Dirt Cheap XT/AT, 486, and a C64, parts or whole systems.
    I'm willing to solder for you. 9 years professional through-hole and surface mount experience.
    I can do through-hole work with my current bench. Cash or interesting parts accepted!

Blog Entries

I use a lot of acid flux in my sheet brass work. Nasty stuff--don't let it get where you don't want it to be--left alone, it's extremely corrosive over time. I use this stuff:

which is a zinc chloride flux. You have to be a bit of a miser to apply it--I'll use the end of a toothpick to apply a tiny amount. It'll also eat up your soldering iron tip pretty quickly. I use it with an acetylene torch and 50-50 solder.

I believe that there are probably non-acid fluxes that are just as aggressive and not nearly as corrosive.

Nokorode, now produced by Rector Seal, is my favorite paste flux for non-electronics work. Really good stuff.

Superior #30 product page:

http://www.superiorflux.com/superior...oldering-flux/

It's close in how it handles to Alpha 850, which you can't seem to get anymore. It's actually designed/approved for electronics work, so it's not like using metalworking acid flux on electronics, which is typically a Bad Idea. Doesn't hurt the iron, doesn't hurt the board unless you leave it on for months, and it comes off with a rinse of hot water. That and Kester's organic core solder are why my assemblies come 100% clean with hot water, soap, and a brush.

Blog Entries

I'll confess to having "rolled my own" liquid rosin flux from bass (as in string bass) rosin dissolved in alcohol. Worked fine.

Kester 186 RMA (Mildly Activated Rosin) Flux for the win! Works wonders for hand soldering SMTs.

Tom