Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections on 30 years ago

Default Reflections on 30 years ago

If the kind people here will indulge me for a moment . . .

'twas Easter 1987 I became 100% sure I wanted to work with computers. I spent a solid 7 hours a day over the break working on a Uni programming assignment[1]. And enjoyed it the whole way. Add that to the mark I got and it said I was in the right course.

So why is this relevant to the group? Model 4 using Alcor Pascal Makes the effort I'm spending now tinning up ribbon cable to replace my Model 1 keyboard cable a fair payback.

May these machines last another 30-40 years.

PJH

[1] That doesn't count the time spent printing it out, taking it in, typing it back in a second time to the Uni VAX, and dealing with variations in the language between the two.

Oh man thats not fun. Glad I ordered a supply of the flex cables and keep a few spares on hand for that sort of thing.

For the model I keyboard, I removed the ends from the mobo and keyboard then soldered a 0.1" header strip on the keyboard. A 40-pin ribbon cable with IDC female connector went on the mobo, with alternate wire soldered into the holes. Now, keyboards become swappable between units. I did this about 15 years ago, and have never had to worry about the connection.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=pjhacnau;456395]May these machines last another 30-40 years.[/url]

Take my word for it--they won't. In 40 years, people will have computers implanted and nobody will be using those clunky iPhones--which will draw exclamations from young children to the effect of "They were so BIG!"

You're right, Chuck (not sure about the implants though!)

And I doubt there will be "retro computing hobbyists". I get the feeling that that particular time was special, when microcomputers could be understood by anyone and were new and exciting. They forced you to program them, to think, to make them useful. Show one to a teenager now and all you'll get is "How do I get YouTube on this thing?"

Computers, if we ignore all the tiny embedded machines for a moment) are now mostly Internet terminals that deliver content. The technology has faded into the background. Is that (he said, donning his philosophical, rhetorical hat) a good thing?

Header pins are a nice idea. I'll probably go that way . . .once I deal with the "other" problem that's turned up.

PJH
    Last edited by pjhacnau; April 15th, 2017 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

I still love my Amiga.
    Rick Ethridge

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Oh man thats not fun. Glad I ordered a supply of the flex cables and keep a few spares on hand for that sort of thing.
    I think it was mouser (but it may have been digikey) I was browsing on and by filtering, I was able to find the exact flex cables type that were used in the original Model I computer, right down to the solder spades on the ends.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Saving Legacy and Vintage computers one piece at a time...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    You're right, Chuck (not sure about the implants though!)

And I doubt there will be "retro computing hobbyists". I get the feeling that that particular time was special, when microcomputers could be understood by anyone and were new and exciting.
    I think it will always be around. Retro-anything is BIG. Think about it. There are retro-car lovers, retro guitar lovers, retro audio enthusiasts, etc. Retro bands are selling out arenas everywhere and have been for 10 years now. I think Retro is here to stay.

I never used to be into anything Retro, but now I find myself wanting all kinds of things. I have a few TRS-80's of course. I also have a 1940's "Brownie" 8mm Camera on display. I want to buy an original 80's arcade machine (Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc), and I have a crazy urge to buy a turntable and listen to my old vinyl.

In 20-30 years from now, people will dig out their old iPhones, fire them up, and start remembering when...

Yay, nostalgia!

Blog Entries

I think Apple is recycling millions of iPhones each year when people drop the old ones off and buy a new one. There won't be massive amounts of current generation computer, phones, or tablets around for collectors.

Quite a bit of the general retro bug (to my eyes anyway) seems to be about pre 100% automation where quite a bit of homes, cars, instruments, watches, furniture, etc. were hand crafted and assembled. At least that explains the collecting of items before your time.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast