Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflections on 30 years ago

Well, as others have said, it will most likely be around. The ridiculous Ebay prices will be far worse, but they'll be around. I'm only 17, and I'm into these. What, with 2 TRS-80's an IMac G3, Atari 800XL I'd say the vintage computing bit me good... I'm also into old cars too.. (in the proud owner of an MG MGB)

Don't give up on this generation just yet...
    These are mine:
    A TRS-80 Model III, Gateway-2000 Tower, Gateway Tower, Timex-Sinclair-2000, Compaq Armada 1550DMT, and last but not least, a Texas-Instruments Travelmate 4000 WinDX--No idea what it's running, lost the power cord!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
    I think Retro is here to stay.
    No, it's not.

Anything built with electrically programmed logic (ie. floating gates) WILL die eventually.
    It is amazing that EPROMs from the 70s still have valid data.

In 20-30 years (actually MUCH sooner than that), an iPhone will be as useless as an analog cell phone is today (at least for making phone calls and any net connectivity)

You'll have some part of an app set that isn't dependent on being able to connect to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    No, it's not.

Anything built with electrically programmed logic (ie. floating gates) WILL die eventually.
    It is amazing that EPROMs from the 70s still have valid data.

In 20-30 years (actually MUCH sooner than that), an iPhone will be as useless as an analog cell phone is today (at least for making phone calls and any net connectivity)

You'll have some part of an app set that isn't dependent on being able to connect to anything else.
    agreed, retro is dying. Most tech from the last 10 years or so will be useless when the backend activation services and application services go offline, if they have not already. You won't be able to run most apps since they are digitally signed and verified in various ways. Web applications and their services will go offline. And don't forget the integrated batteries.

It's up to us right now to make sure the older EPROMs and programmed chips are dumped and archived before they are lost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12