Image Map Image Map

Thread: Scored a printer

Default Scored a printer

Ok, not a computer per se, but still a nice little deal.

I usually don't find much at the local thrift shops as around here they seem to focus on clothes & plateware. I was looking for a decent chair and for a laugh walked thru their very short electronics aisle.

Imagine my surprise when I found a very clean Epson RX-80 printer. It looked a bit dodgy in that they used packing tape to still the pieces into one pile, but I figured it was worth the $1.99 they asked. Also blew another $1.99 on a centronics cable in case I didn't have one.

Took it home, found the small ream of pinfeed I still (!) had and it worked perfectly. Held down the LF key when I turned it on, and the diagnostic worked fine. Ditto for a test page in WinXP. The ribbon is shot, no surprise there, but as I said it's surprisingly clean. No dirt, broken bits, chipped corners, yellowed plastic, etc...

Nice little piece of history there.

Blog Entries

I think you can still find new sealed ribbons for most of the major brand dot matrix printers. If you are used to lasers and inkjets be prepared for the noise of a 9 pin makes, it can be pretty loud.

I saved a 24 pin Epson just because I wanted one when I only had a 9 pin unit back in the day.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Used to have an RX-80 back in the day. Or an MX-80. It's been a long time. But, yes, I remember how loud they were.

Used to have a Panasonic 24-pin, KXP1124. Very nice printer.

...Remember the printer drivers that allowed 9-pin printers to put out "letter quality" output? Man, I thought that sucker was slow before... It was nice for college English papers though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Used to have an RX-80 back in the day. Or an MX-80. It's been a long time. But, yes, I remember how loud they were.

Used to have a Panasonic 24-pin, KXP1124. Very nice printer.

...Remember the printer drivers that allowed 9-pin printers to put out "letter quality" output? Man, I thought that sucker was slow before... It was nice for college English papers though.
    Geoworks Ensemble can provide laser like quality from dot matrix printers. You can make banners as well.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Geoworks Ensemble can provide laser like quality from dot matrix printers. You can make banners as well.
    I figured out how to print high resolution graphics with the text-only Commodore 1526, but by the time it was done with a page, the page was all but shredded.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Blog Entries

While printing NLQ by varying offsets seems to be obvious today, it was quite the thing in the late 70s. The guy responsible was Royden C. Sanders, an engineer's engineer. The patent covering this

So does anyone have a Sanders Typographic 12/7? They were quite the thing back in the day.

I remember printing the Fidonet manual back in the day. In draft mode. It still took over night to finish. Good thing the computer & printer were in the basement...