Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new use for something that has no value for me any longer

Blog Entries

Default A new use for something that has no value for me any longer

I converted a older HP Thin Client Intel Pentium 1GHz into a very small, quiet, Low power Juke Box. For under $40. See it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SOfeD_xL4&t=3s

Blog Entries

I've had thoughts like this for some of the old thin clients that I have, but damnit--an Orange Pi or Raspberry Pi is sub-$30 cheap and can run rings around them...

Still haven't bought a modern ARM based SBC due to a surplus of similar hardware. Old VIA based Mini-ITX systems are low enough power draw when equipped with DOM/SSD that I don't get worked up about the saving with a Raspberry Pi or something.
    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services

Still looking for a BYT-8, any condition.

Blog Entries

I've got a few VIA-based thin clients; have to use OpenBSD or the like; Debian-based Linux kernels dropped support for the VIA IDE controllers. They still run Windows okay, so I use them for legacy-port (Parallel or Serial) based peripherals , such as Sparq drives or EPROM programmers.

I used to use one as a local email server and internet radio server, but an OPi does the same for less power consumption.

Blog Entries

I agree, the Pi's our smaller, faster & just plain very cool. But I'm into Retro PC. To the point where my goal is to find something totally useless & not wanted. And began to experiment with it, give it a job that's needed. Save it from a Recycler or worse, Land Fill. This may not be the best way to make a dedicated Juke Box. But I found this to be a very satisfying thing to build, & that in turn makes me happy.

Yeah, I still recap old Mini-ITX boards that are well past what most people consider their useful life. They make fine Asterisk servers and router/firewall boxes, and of course there you often need the PCI slot for expansion anyway.
    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services

Still looking for a BYT-8, any condition.

Blog Entries

Awww the Art of Re-Capping. once I learned how to do that well. I fixed a real Juke Box, Seaburg 220 & a Dell Precision 450 Dual Xeon's. I think I have the Vids for the Dell on my YouTube channel.

I've converted two similar HP thin clients, one into a M0n0wall router, and the other into an Asterisk PBX, I ordered the PCI risers for mine and have a dual port NIC and Telephone line card respectively in mine. They've been running for nearly a decade like this now, though one does have bulging capacitors, I really should think about fixing it.

Blog Entries

Now I admire that, you have really taken this "Keeping Retro Alive" to a new level. And the riser card, how awesome is that! Can I see a picture of it, or a link to a picture of the riser adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Now I admire that, you have really taken this "Keeping Retro Alive" to a new level. And the riser card, how awesome is that! Can I see a picture of it, or a link to a picture of the riser adapter.
    Here's an ebay link to the PCI riser I used in mine, your's is a slightly different model though, so this one won't work for you, but I bet HP sells one that will. It's a pretty neat setup, it comes with a taller top shell with PCI bracket so it all fits nicely and looks good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast