Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning sticker residue from EPROM chips (which solvent?)

While White Spirit or Stoddard Solvent is readily available in the UK and Australia it doesn't seem to be sold here in the US. Does anybody know of a local source?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    While White Spirit or Stoddard Solvent is readily available in the UK and Australia it doesn't seem to be sold here in the US. Does anybody know of a local source?
    If the adhesive is really old and dry I scrape it off with my pocket knife
    or finger nail. Like Chuck said, quartz is tough stuff.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    If the adhesive is really old and dry I scrape it off with my pocket knife
    or finger nail. Like Chuck said, quartz is tough stuff.
    Dwight
    What does this have to do with sourcing a bottle of this stuff in the US?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Blog Entries

Stoddard solvent is an inexact mixture of lighter petroleum distillates, mostly aliphatic hydrocarbons.

You can buy a gallon of the stuff in the US at most hardware and home-improvement stores as "Paint Thinner". (Not "Laquer thinner")

If you can't find that stuff, just pick up a gallon of Coleman fuel. Close enough.

As is usual for both, keep away from open flames and hot places. (i.e. don't store it in the same closet as you gas-fired water heater).

What does this have to do with sourcing a bottle of this stuff in the US?
    Post #1
    "What common products will remove the residue?"

Why buy some hazardous material when you don't need it.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Why buy some hazardous material when you don't need it.
    I don't think you should assume you know what I intend to do with this item. After all, it has a multitude of uses. If you research it you'll see what I am referring to. That being said it's not at all possible for you to know what I need or don't need; after all I could be working on a liquid fuel model rocket in my spare time. Unfortunately, your pocket knife or finger nail just won't make the cut in that situation. FWIW, I built several solid fuel rockets in the past and using the more advanced liquid fuel system seems like the logical next step (maybe not to you but it's not your project, is it?).

Blog Entries

Well, if you own a gas-powered car, truck or lawnmower, you're routinely fooling with a potent known carcinogen--particularly if you're area insists on self-service at the pump (it's still against the law here).

If I were to take the mercury in my dental fillings and place it in a elementary school classroom, I have no doubt that someone would call the hazmat people.

And I'm ignoring the lead in your vintage equipment.

If you don't like the regular Stoddard solvent, or "white spirit", there's always the hydrolyzed version (I have some and I don't think it works as well):

Or just try some olive oil or citrus oil, bacon grease, macassar oil... It really doesn't matter--eventually the adhesive will be affected.

I don't think you should assume you know what I intend to do with this item. After all, it has a multitude of uses. If you research it you'll see what I am referring to. That being said it's not at all possible for you to know what I need or don't need; after all I could be working on a liquid fuel model rocket in my spare time. Unfortunately, your pocket knife or finger nail just won't make the cut in that situation. FWIW, I built several solid fuel rockets in the past and using the more advanced liquid fuel system seems like the logical next step (maybe not to you but it's not your project, is it?).
    I beg your pardon but this thread has nothing to do with rockets or other.
    You jumped on me for mentioning how I clean EPROM windows. Since you
    neither started this thread or commented in it, other then to jump on me for
    a valid response. I think you need to do a self evaluation.
    I don't even presume to know what your intentions are.
    Dwight

Being a picture framer for 40+ years I've deal with many a sticker, tape and goo. Just about a picture framer can get you a product called "UnStik" made by a company call "Bienfang". The only issue getting it is it can't be sent through the mail, FedEx or UPS. I have to get it from a distributer that can deliver it on their own truck. Most framing shops get weekly deliveries. If you in the boonies your SOL. If you can find a picture framing distributor, in most cities of size, buy direct by going to the place. It's not expensive just hard to get. It leaves no residue even if poured on paper, evaporates extremely fast.

framer

Blog Entries

The MSDS shows that it's 100% n-neptane, not much different from mineral spirits.