Image Map Image Map

Thread: Serial mouse for pentium

Hebron, Boone Township, Porter County, Indiana, USA

Default Serial mouse for pentium

I need a serial mouse. Mobo does not have a PS/2 Mouse port, just a DIN for keyboard, as it is AT form factor. Anybody have a serial mouse I can have ?

Blog Entries

What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Yes - https://airtable.com/shrA7cS5ApaOun6gd

There are a few on there with pictures. Prices are negotiable.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by flashedbios2012 View Post
    I need a serial mouse. Mobo does not have a PS/2 Mouse port, just a DIN for keyboard, as it is AT form factor. Anybody have a serial mouse I can have ?
    >>
    Check your manual. Many Pentium mobo's have an open socket with 5 or 6 pins near the keyboard port on which you can plug a PS/2 mouse adapter like this:

https://www.altex.com/5-Pin-to-6-Pin...2-P139177.aspx

You may have to re-wire the black connector, there is no universal system in place.

there is one of those but not only do I not feel like cutting up wires and twisting them together (I never did learn how to properly rewire those cheap plastic connectors), I dont feel like learning the pinouts and stuff either plus I dont have a PS2 mouse. So i might as well get a serial killer... i mean mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by flashedbios2012 View Post
    there is one of those but not only do I not feel like cutting up wires and twisting them together (I never did learn how to properly rewire those cheap plastic connectors), I dont feel like learning the pinouts and stuff either plus I dont have a PS2 mouse. So i might as well get a serial killer... i mean mouse.
    >>
    >>
    Grin...
    However, if you ever run into a connector like that which you -have- to fix, there are tiny plastic covers over the metal plugs that hook into them. If you carefully lift such a cover up a little bit with for example a needle you can pull the wire + plug from the connector and reseat it in another slot. Thus no need to cut anything.

Personally I don't like serial mice much, PS/2 mice have a more 'flowing' behaviour in my experience. .

Please disregard the text that was posted here before. I had multiple forums open on different tabs and I posted a post here, that was meant for posting on another forum online. I am thoroughly embarassed and would appreciate the topic not being brought up.
    Last edited by flashedbios2012; April 22nd, 2017 at 09:40 AM.