Image Map Image Map

Thread: PS/2 Model 95 by any other name 8-)

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Default PS/2 Model 95 by any other name 8-)

Today I loaded PC DOS 7.0 and OS/2 3 Warp onto an IBM 3172 Mainframe Service Processor Controller, which is really just a PS/2 model 95 (Pentium 90) machine under the covers in a big ugly Industrial style case.

Took a bit of mucking around to find an LCD display that would handle the old XGA2 Microchannel cards output, and also had to scrape up a 320 MB SCSI drive.

I was amazed when the 20+ year old 320MB scsi drive I used, which was actually an RS/6000 model 320 part worked perfectly, without any bad sectors.

Mind you I had 3 to choose from. 1 didn't even power up, and the 3rd wouldn't format. Not a bad result though.

Got the Reference Disk and Diagnostic Disk off the Web, recreated the System Partition on the Hard Drive, and Installed DOS and OS/2 with a boot manager.

Cool.

Memories,........ doo doo doo doo doo doo dooo.......

oooOOOooo

seriously? No pictures.

SHAME.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by luckybob View Post
    seriously? No pictures.

SHAME.
    Pictures are coming
    Regards..........GeoKM
    oooOOOooo

seriously? No pictures.

SHAME.
    Here is the 3172 Service Processor in all its Glory

IMG_1439.jpg

And Inside

IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg

The SCSI Hard Drive, Was Ex RS/6000 model 320H. Boy I replaced a few of these in my day!

IMG_1445.jpg

And here is what I loaded.....

Amazing. Not a single error on the HDD or the Diskettes.

IMG_1446.jpg

Regards..........GeoKM
    oooOOOooo

yep. It damn sure looks like a 8595 on the inside. That hard drive placement sucks though. How usable is the front panel?

yep. It damn sure looks like a 8595 on the inside. That hard drive placement sucks though. How usable is the front panel?
    It's not.

I rekon it was purely for the use of the the controller microcode as it is connected via a ribbon cable internally to the parallel port. I guess one could try and work out how to talk to it. . It actually causes the Parallel Port diags to fail, so it might be a non standard wiring of some kind?

There is no actual LCD or OP panel like on an actual 8595. The header where the cable would normally connect only has a small cable connecting the speaker. 8-/

Pretty nice machine though for DOS and OS/2. Fly's

Only has 32MB Memory installed in 4 x 8MB. With 4 more available mem slots. Still More than enough in the day!
    Regards..........GeoKM
    oooOOOooo

if it is different, that's sad. I was hoping for a new source for simms for my 9595. :P I really want 8x 32mb simms