Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 80 (Type 8580-321)

Cool IBM PS/2 Model 80 (Type 8580-321)

I gave my friend lutiana some help with sorting and cataloging a majority of the stuff from his storage haul. One of the ways he conveyed his thanks for my help was by giving me this IBM PS/2 Model 80 (Type 8580-321) from the hoard. It's my first dive into the PS/2 world and I'm pretty excited about it! I've read about them and used them in school (though not this particular model), but never had one to take apart/rebuild and really get neck deep into. I am a very visual person, so here are some pics (click them for a larger version)!

Here are the specs (as far as I understand it):

• 386DX 20 MHz CPU, no co-processor
    • 4 MB onboard RAM (two 2 MB cards)
    • 4 MB RAM via an Enhanced 80386 Memory Expansion card (one stick @ 4 MB)
    • IBM PS/2 SCSI Adapter
    • Two Type 0661 50-pin SCSI hard drives. One 320 MB and one 400 MB.
    • IBM PC Network Baseband card

As you can see, the foam on the side panel is in the process of decomposing. It's very sticky/gooey. Not fun when it gets on my hands and/or clothes. That is something I will address when I am able to. My main goal is to get the thing reliably functioning. It powers up and will boot from floppy without issue. The 400 MB hard drive seems to be bad. It repeatedly clicks when the SCSI adapter tries to ready the drive, and the system detects that drive as a 25 MB drive. The 320 MB drive seems OK, but if I leave the machine off for an extended period of time (like overnight) it will not boot from it without a bit of poking/prodding. So, I think my first order of business is to buy a new CMOS battery. Hoping to pick one up today or tomorrow. Then I'll go from there...

My goals with this machine after I've got it working somewhat reliably as is are:

1. Max out the CPU and add the appropriate co-processor.
    2. Max out the RAM on the expansion card to 16 MB.
    3. Add an Ethernet based NIC of some sort.
    4. Add the largest capacity hard drive the controller will support.
    5. Add a sound card, maybe? I don't know what options are out there for MCA.

Any advise/information fellow PS/2ers are willing to share I am all ears (or eyes, I guess ).

Definitely more to come...

Blog Entries

You may not be thanking me in a few months when you've spent your kids college fund on MCA cards that you "just gotta have"

Still that's a great looking machine, and welcome the joy that is IBM PS/2!

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by trmg View Post
    [*]Add the largest capacity hard drive the controller will support.
    You may want to check this page out concerning the above:

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/scsi1gb1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    You may want to check this page out concerning the above:

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/scsi1gb1.htm
    Thanks! If I'm identifying the SCSI controller correctly, I have the "IBM SCSI adapter with cache /A old".

It looks like I have SCSI BIOS EPROMs 64F4376 & 64F4377. So I'd need to replace these with 92F2244 & 92F2245 respectively.

What are the chances of finding these? Should I just plan on buying a couple of 1 GB drives?

Blog Entries

Thanks! If I'm identifying the SCSI controller correctly, I have the "IBM SCSI adapter with cache /A old".

It looks like I have SCSI BIOS EPROMs 64F4376 & 64F4377. So I'd need to replace these with 92F2244 & 92F2245 respectively.

What are the chances of finding these? Should I just plan on buying a couple of 1 GB drives?
    I've got a way to burn EEPROMs, so if you can work out what type you need and we can find the BIOS in question we can make you a set. Check out minuszerodegrees.com, neat the end of the page is list of the ROM images he has, perhaps the needed ones are there.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Was this the article?

http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000...ca_lanperform/

Edit: Uh, whoops - WRONG THREAD! Was meant for http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...net-Networking

Blog Entries

Yes! But that was on my thread not yours. ;D

Blog Entries

I have 3 of those Model 80 towers, quite nice once you clean off the black sludge. Mine came with a boatload of cards and even a CPU upgrade plus an IBM WORM drive. I do wish I had some bezels to use an internal CDROM in my third unit. Floppy drive working?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have 3 of those Model 80 towers, quite nice once you clean off the black sludge. Mine came with a boatload of cards and even a CPU upgrade plus an IBM WORM drive. I do wish I had some bezels to use an internal CDROM in my third unit. Floppy drive working?
    Today I discovered a benefit of the black sludge...a security feature. One of my kids had black sticky fingertips. Knew exactly where he had been.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Yes, amazingly the floppy drive works without any intervention on my part! I managed to get the 320 MB hard drive formatted and installed MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11. That hard drive is on its way out though. The system won't boot from it until it's "warmed up". It's very weird. If I turn on the system cold, the drive will make some not-so-good clicks and I'll get a nasty error code on the display. If I walk away from it for a few minutes and power-cycle the system, drive works beautifully.