Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Open Source Scan Converter and vintage computers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by njroadfan View Post
    I got the IIgs working properly on the OSSC. There still some flickering, likely due to poor shielding somewhere in the input chain, but its pixel perfect output. Here is a direct output capture from my DVI2PCIe in 640x200 SHR video mode via the OSSC.
    Was the OSSC necessary? I was able to get pixel-perfect results with my DVI2PCIe without using an OSSC.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Was the OSSC necessary? I was able to get pixel-perfect results with my DVI2PCIe without using an OSSC.
    It wasn't, at least for the Apple IIgs. The only real difference is that I didn't have to double the pixel height after capturing as the OSSC outputs 400 lines by default. I also didn't have to fiddle with the Epiphan capture driver settings since it was capturing digitally. Its much easier to fiddle with the OSSC settings as the picture changes in real time on the Epiphan's capture preview window. I use the OSSC mainly with displays and capture cards that don't natively support 240p video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    Sorry to necro-bump this thread, but can you please share the settings that you settled on in order to get this picture?
    Here are the settings used to get 640x200 SHR mode looking correctly on the OSSC

With line2X mode the H.samplerate should be around 1042. H.active 852 or 640 if you want to crop the overscan. You need to change H.synclen and H.backporch to center the image.

With line4X mode at generic 4:3, H.samplerate needs to be doubled so around 2085. H.active 1704.

After that you will need to adjust sampling phase to get pixel perfect output.

Well it's open source enough in that they give you everything you need to build your own. No black boxes with tiny legs you'd need nitric acid to determine the inner workings of. Of course you have to build it though - it's hardware. The open part of open source hearkens back to the usage tobdescribe say an IBM PC, or Apple 2. The Macs, earliest ones at least, were not designated open. They didn't even want people opening them. Maybe they should have used crazy glue.

I've heard the term used by people in the media, desgnating the transparency of information sources.

Blog Entries

Would the term Open Architecture be more appropriate?

Blog Entries

Those early macs made for a small bonanza for long screwdriver manufacturers...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Those early macs made for a small bonanza for long screwdriver manufacturers...
    Were more people opening Macs than other consumer electronics? Many television sets, "boom boxes," and other such things from that era were constructed thusly. I recall working on something around that time that required a #2 Phillips about " longer than anything I could buy at the time. I had to modify one.

Of course anyone working with cutting edge metal cutting equipment (and anything else with servo amplifiers) already needed obscenely long screwdrivers.