Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IIGS Accelerator?

Default IIGS Accelerator?

I recently dug my ROM 3 IIGS out of storage, and I have it set up with a color video monitor (yuk!) and two 3.5 inch and one 5.25 inch floppy drives.

I have a IIGS VGA adapter, and a IIGS Micro-Drive inbound to me now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302293331335...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/301948515519...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone know of a viable CPU accelerator available these days?

Thanks!

smp

Blog Entries

Before I can answer that question, are you in the right salary bracket to accept the pricetag?

IIgs-specific accelerators are amiga 4000-tier expensive.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Before I can answer that question, are you in the right salary bracket to accept the pricetag?

IIgs-specific accelerators are amiga 4000-tier expensive.
    Yeah, I get it.

I see the Transwarp currently on eBay with a BIN of $900. I was hoping that someone or some company had finally come up with a new accelerator. I went through the circus some years ago with some fellow named Conrad on the Apple II Google Group. That apparently turned out to be a scam, and I guess the searing hard time the folks there gave Conrad was because some years earlier they had been through an even earlier scam. I just don't know what is so difficult about doing a new accelerator, but, of course, I am speaking from a position of ignorance. I don't have the expertise nor the capability to design something like that.

Too bad...

smp

Blog Entries

Maybe you could talk Nishida into doing one, but he seems to only do what others never have.

Mike

UltimateApple2 cloned the Transwarp GS in 2015 and sold a limited run of prototypes, but still haven't gotten around to producing and selling them.

ComputerCorps will be putting a ROM 01 GS system with Zip GSX and Focus hard card up for auction:

Apple IIgs ROM 01 system with IIgs ADB keyboard, mouse and power cord
    AppleColor RGB monitor for IIgs with video cable, in original box
    Focus internal hard drive with 1 GB IDE drive, configured currently as 8x32MB partitions with GS/OS 6.0.2 installed, Focus driver and Zip GSX driver/CDA/desk accessory installed
    Zip GSX 7.5 MHz accelerator with 8kb cache
    Applied Engineering GS-RAM Ultra III with 4MB RAM
    Two Apple 3.5 inch 800k floppy drives
    Two Apple 5.25 inch 140k floppy drives
    Apple internal fan for Apple IIgs
    Apple Joystick

When it's listed, I'll post on the forum about it. All tested and working, using the correct diagnostics software. And cosmetically it's all in good shape. Though it will probably go for quite a bit...

Personally, I have two Zip GSX accelerators... I might consider selling one.

The Transwarp GS I had was so badly ESD damaged that Henry at Reactive Micro couldn't get it working again (cost me quite a bit to find that out...) Don't package electronics in newspaper!

Blog Entries

Wow that's crazy, they were only a few hundred last time I looked a few years ago.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I have heard rumors that Пламен Вайсилов (AKA the Bulgerian Woz) of a2heaven.com may be thinking about a IIgs accelerator, though he's been working on a //c transwarp, and a speed selectable //e accelerator lately, so if he does one, it's probably a ways off. https://www.facebook.com/a2heaven/
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Every time I go to his website, I wanna buy one of everything.

I already have 4 or 5 of his products. VGA adapter for Ramworks, Mockingboard, etc. I would LOVE to get an accelerator that works with a Mockingboard AND Ultima V.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    Every time I go to his website, I wanna buy one of everything.

I already have 4 or 5 of his products. VGA adapter for Ramworks, Mockingboard, etc. I would LOVE to get an accelerator that works with a Mockingboard AND Ultima V.
    I've got a SD Disk II from him, and I am seriously contemplating the 8MB IIgs RAM card too, if money wasn't a constraint I would probably order one of everything too LOL
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.