Image Map Image Map

Thread: Disk Image Writer for MS-DOS/Win3.1

Question Disk Image Writer for MS-DOS/Win3.1

I need a floppy disk image writer for MS-DOS/Win3.1. The current software I am using only works with Windows 9x+ and I need to be able to write 5.25 inch disks. I have some other software I've found and a thrift store called Copy II PC but I don't know if this can write floppy images. Any help would be appreciated.

Like Imagedisk? I can't imagine what kind of images you'd be writing to 5.25" diskettes under Windows, though.

Copy II PC as far as I know is only for duplicating diskettes, not reading/writing images. But I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-.../disk/rawrite/ might be what you are looking for. What program made the images you want to write? Some disk images won't work with some programs.

Sometimes you find old software on the internet that is an .img file but it's floppy images rather than CDroms. As far as what software made the images? I don't know. I prefer having access to the actual installer because some software doesn't run right on a real DOS system (like abandonware games you find on the internet that were pre-installed for DOSBOX).

I've downloaded rawrite, but was just wondering what other options there were.

I usually use Mike Brutman's dskimage utility for backing up my floppy disk's, There used to be an old copy of winimage for Dos / Win 3.1 kicking around the net, A long time ago though.

Try also FreeDos' diskcopy. A command-line interface we're all used to and does the job.
    For example you can do the usual diskcopy a: b:, but also diskcopy a: c:\file.img and diskcopy c:\file.img a: