Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenix 286 File Transfer via Parallel port? Help??!!

Blog Entries

Default Xenix 286 File Transfer via Parallel port? Help??!!

This is my first experience with UNIX. If you like you can read my post HERE about my computer with SCO XENIX 286. It's been a lot of fun learning about this great old OS, but I'm not a programmer, (yet), and I'm having a hard time finding Apps and Utilities for it. Right now I'm trying to find a good way to transfer files to and from the hard drive. Evidently, XENIX 286 was not Ethernet friendly, so I've been looking for alternatives. I found an old version of C-KERMIT that works but it only works with a serial connection and I can't get it to go any faster that 9600 baud with a null modem cable to a DOS machine running MS-DOS-KERMIT. At that speed file transfers take a long time. Can someone here help me find a utility that will work over a Parallel connection? I could even install Linux on my 486 as a go between if making a UNIX program talk to a DOS machine is to difficult. Are there any Programmers here interested in writing a program for this or modifying KERMIT to do parallel? The source code for KERMIT is readily available but only the oldest versions will compile correctly on my XT/286 aka IBM 5162.

What are you trying to transfer that is taking so long?
    Here's some info for you: http://news-posts.aplawrence.com/2660.html

I think the skunkware iso might have rz/sz for xenix if you have a cd drive.
    http://www.sco.com/skunkware/

If you could only run a DOS program it would be simple.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

tar/cpio to floppy disks is faster and more automated than individual kermit transfers at 9600 baud. You would also preserve the directory structure that way. If roughly half of the filesystem is empty, you have a better option: tar/cpio | compress > file.tar/cpio.Z. Then you only need to transfer one file and can let it run over the weekend.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Blog Entries

Back in the early days of Xenix, 9600 bps was the speed of an expensive leased line (Bell 209 modem?) Another example of how our perception is affected by time.

CU and UUCP anyone?

If you're a gluten for punishment, you could set up uucp between the Xenix machine and another unix machine to copy files. Probably the most frustrating set of programs to configure, but then it's copy and forget. Literally. Come back the next day and it might have copied the files - unless you forget to check until a week later. You get a certain amount of cred for getting uucp to work, though.

Blog Entries

The second machine doesn't have to be Unix; do a web search for "UUPC"; runs under Windows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    tar/cpio to floppy disks is faster and more automated than individual kermit transfers at 9600 baud. You would also preserve the directory structure that way. If roughly half of the filesystem is empty, you have a better option: tar/cpio | compress > file.tar/cpio.Z. Then you only need to transfer one file and can let it run over the weekend.
    Actually, the HD has a DOS partition that I can boot and run MS Client to move large amounts of data and then re-boot to Xenix and from there I can copy the files to the Xenix partition. One draw back with this is that the "doscp" command in Xenix can only transfer one file at a time and it can't see any DOS paritions larger than 32mb. So, if there are a lot of files, they must be archived in a tar file and I've found that the utilities I've been using to tar the files in windows tend to put a "M" or "^M" at the end of each line in text files. At least that's what I see if I un tar them in Xenix and view them in vi. This causes havoc when trying to move large source code files and then when make is performed they won't compile correctly because of the "M" or "^M" at the end of every line in the makefile and all of the lib files etc. So I can move files this way, but it requires 2 re-boots and much grief. Maybe there is a better program to tar the files with. I've been using 7-zip. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

cat infile.c | tr -s '^V^M' '' > outfile.c

Or, for an entire directory,

for i in `ls .`
    do
    cat $i | tr -s '^V^M' '' > tempfile.c
    mv tempfile.c $i
    done

Some more info here:
    http://its.ucsc.edu/unix-timeshare/t...an-ctrl-m.html

Have you tried replacing the 8250 UARTs with an 82450?

You should be able to transfer at 19200 or more. Back in the day 9600 was pretty much the limit for an 8250