Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Xenix 286 File Transfer via Parallel port? Help??!!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, OR USA
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    Have you tried replacing the 8250 UARTs with an 82450?

    You should be able to transfer at 19200 or more. Back in the day 9600 was pretty much the limit for an 8250
    Both machines have hi speed serial ports. In fact, when they are both in dos, they will transfer at something like 38400. It seems that Kermit for Xenix doesn't work correctly at speeds faster than 9600. Strange thing is, it will accept setting the speed at 19200, but when sending files from the dos machine to the Xenix machine, the transfer hangs.
    however, it will go the other way. Still much slower than a parallel transfer would be.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Still much slower than a parallel transfer would be.
    Parallel isn't going to happen on this configuration. Kermit, tar, doscp, etc. are your choices.

    Do you have the dev kit (cc)? If so, get a copy of the source for RZ/SZ and use that protocol. See if it'll go faster.
    Get the source for zip too. Then you can use zip on both ends and it will strip the extra ^M characters.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Actually, the HD has a DOS partition that I can boot and run MS Client to move large amounts of data and then re-boot to Xenix and from there I can copy the files to the Xenix partition. One draw back with this is that the "doscp" command in Xenix can only transfer one file at a time and it can't see any DOS paritions larger than 32mb. So, if there are a lot of files, they must be archived in a tar file and I've found that the utilities I've been using to tar the files in windows tend to put a "M" or "^M" at the end of each line in text files. At least that's what I see if I un tar them in Xenix and view them in vi. This causes havoc when trying to move large source code files and then when make is performed they won't compile correctly because of the "M" or "^M" at the end of every line in the makefile and all of the lib files etc. So I can move files this way, but it requires 2 re-boots and much grief. Maybe there is a better program to tar the files with. I've been using 7-zip. Maybe I'm not doing it right.
    Using the Dos partition is the quickest way to transfer files to/from the Xenix partition. That's what I use on my Xenix 386 notebook system.


    You should check the options in the program that you are using to create the TAR file. There should be a switch to either add CR or to remove CR. There are a bunch of MS-DOS utilities out there that can create TAR files and do many other things in DOS that are very similar to doing it in Unix/Xenix. Plus there are many other TAR /DETAR utilities. I would try some of them to see if they will work for you.

    If you are trying to transfer straight text files from DOS to Xenix, then you should use the UNIX2DOS and DOS2UNIX utilities that will add or strip the CR. Do this before creating your TAR file.

    Bill
    Smithville, NJ

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, OR USA
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    cat infile.c | tr -s '^V^M' '' > outfile.c

    Or, for an entire directory,

    for i in `ls .`
    do
    cat $i | tr -s '^V^M' '' > tempfile.c
    mv tempfile.c $i
    done

    Some more info here:
    http://its.ucsc.edu/unix-timeshare/t...an-ctrl-m.html
    I've been playing around with the scripts you provided here. I couldn't get them to work out of the box. However, I was able to combine the instructions for sed in the link you provided and came up with the following;

    for i in `ls .`
    do
    cat $i | sed -e "s/^VM//" > tempfile.c
    mv tempfile.c $i
    done

    I put this in a file that I named noms (for no ^M's) changed permissions to make it executable and placed it in /usr/bin which is in my PATH. After changing to the directory that contains the files with the ^M's, I execute noms and after a few minuets all the ^M's are gone. Thanks for the tips kb2syd.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, OR USA
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    Parallel isn't going to happen on this configuration. Kermit, tar, doscp, etc. are your choices.

    Do you have the dev kit (cc)? If so, get a copy of the source for RZ/SZ and use that protocol. See if it'll go faster.
    Get the source for zip too. Then you can use zip on both ends and it will strip the extra ^M characters.
    Yes I do have the dev kit. Using it to attempt to compile source code for Kermit is where I decided I needed a good way to transfer files. Those collections of files for Kermit are HUGE. Probably because they cover MANY different platforms. I'll look for RZ/SZ next.

    ps
    Why do you say "parallel isn't going to happen"? Is it because Xenix see's the parallel port for printing only, or is it just because no one has done it.
    Last edited by ibmapc; May 12th, 2017 at 08:32 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, OR USA
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resman View Post
    If you're a gluten for punishment, you could set up uucp between the Xenix machine and another unix machine to copy files. Probably the most frustrating set of programs to configure, but then it's copy and forget. Literally. Come back the next day and it might have copied the files - unless you forget to check until a week later. You get a certain amount of cred for getting uucp to work, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The second machine doesn't have to be Unix; do a web search for "UUPC"; runs under Windows.
    This going to be my next project. Wish me luck. On a side note, I find it very frustrating that Google thinks that I must be looking for UUCP when I search for UUPC. Google doesn't provide a link for UUPC until the very last one on the page. Google just pisses me off sometimes. Is there a way to tell Google only list items spelled EXACTLY as typed?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albany, OR USA
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natcha View Post
    Using the Dos partition is the quickest way to transfer files to/from the Xenix partition. That's what I use on my Xenix 386 notebook system.


    You should check the options in the program that you are using to create the TAR file. There should be a switch to either add CR or to remove CR. There are a bunch of MS-DOS utilities out there that can create TAR files and do many other things in DOS that are very similar to doing it in Unix/Xenix. Plus there are many other TAR /DETAR utilities. I would try some of them to see if they will work for you.

    If you are trying to transfer straight text files from DOS to Xenix, then you should use the UNIX2DOS and DOS2UNIX utilities that will add or strip the CR. Do this before creating your TAR file.

    Bill
    Smithville, NJ
    The only programs I've used for making tar archives in windows are 7zip and Peazip. Neither of those have option regarding cr. I'll try dos2unix next and let you know how it works out.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    The only programs I've used for making tar archives in windows are 7zip and Peazip. Neither of those have option regarding cr. I'll try dos2unix next and let you know how it works out.
    You're right - there are no CR stripping options in the TAR programs. Not sure why I thought there was.

    I just did a test using DOS2UNIX and 7-Zip. In 7-ZIP, use "STORE", no compression. DOS2UNIX strips the CR's and then 7-Zip will create a TAR file that should work for you. Works great here with standard text files.

    Bill
    Smithville, NJ

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Why do you say "parallel isn't going to happen"? Is it because Xenix see's the parallel port for printing only, or is it just because no one has done it.
    The Xenix parallel port driver is strictly output only and doesn't have the capability of doing bidirectional data transfers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •