Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun SPARC Classic network problems

What are you plugging the Classic in to? As mentioned above, I've had issues with a fair bit of consumer gigabit hardware not wanting to talk to old 10baseT half duplex stuff. You might try a cross-over directly between the IPX and the Classic for diagnostic purposes. And, of course, if the TP port is truly dead, you can try the AUI port, or just add a SBus Ethernet board. I think I've still got a number of 10/100 and quad Ethernet boards for SBus, if you end up needing one.

I'll second glitch on the issue of old gear on new switches. Both old Suns and old Macs can have problems talking to current auto-negotiate gear. I keep an old 24-port 10-BaseT hub in the rack just for this. The old machines plug into that, and that has an uplink to the higher speed switch.

Cisco Catalysts tend to work OK when forced to 10/Half, but if you switch machines around on the switch (say, as things come on/off the bench) it's a pain to keep managing individual ports.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    In my experience, you never really know if a cable is bad unless you ring it out. And even then you don't know if it has isolation or crosstalk problems.

If I suspect a cable, usually I make another one and see if the problem repeats.
    I don't suspect the cable since it works with my IPX and, now that I have checked, my other Classic. And, with reference to the two posts above, I don't suspect a problem talking to the hub/router. I can telnet into the IPX and the other Classic from a modern Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    And, of course, if the TP port is truly dead, you can try the AUI port, or just add a SBus Ethernet board. I think I've still got a number of 10/100 and quad Ethernet boards for SBus, if you end up needing one.
    Is it more likely to be dead on the system board or the board that the TP connector is on? I'd like to take a shot at fixing it, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    I don't suspect the cable since it works with my IPX and, now that I have checked, my other Classic. And, with reference to the two posts above, I don't suspect a problem talking to the hub/router. I can telnet into the IPX and the other Classic from a modern Mac.
    You're probably right. But my point is that I can demonstrate borderline cables that work reliably in only nine out of ten machines. That's why to remove doubt I make a new cable. But if you don't have a spool of cable and box of connectors handy, that's not so simple.

I found one just the other day that worked reliably at 100Mbs but intermittently at 1000Mbs. Because it was a very long cable, before making a new one it was easy enough to test it with two 10Mbs devices. It didn't work at all with those.

I found my AUI dongle for the Classic/LX, tested using the network using that and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    I found my AUI dongle for the Classic/LX, tested using the network using that and it works.
    Probably a blown out isolation transformer or something, then.

I swapped out the System IO board (the "board that the TP connector is on") with one from another Classic/LX. (The part number for the board is the same for that board in the Classics and LXs (2 of each).) That did not correct the problem.

Since I am prep'ing it to sell (I have 7 lunchbox systems at the moment), I wonder if I should pick up an ethernet sbus card for it or leave that as an exercise for a potential buyer.