Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange behaviour of a 5151 Monitor.

Default Strange behaviour of a 5151 Monitor.

I have two 5150s.

One is a 120V input fed from a 220V to 120V stepdown transformer. The 5151 Monitor is powered from the 5150 power supply auxiliary. The 5151 works in this setup.

However, using the other 5150 with a 220V input psu and the monitor powered directly from the 120V of the transformer, the monitor doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Did you try the monitor that doesn't work with the system where the monitor does work?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Did you try the monitor that doesn't work with the system where the monitor does work?
    One monitor, two 5150s.

The 5151 only 'works' when both the AC and video card are both functional. It's possible that using the external power source doesn't satisfy the circuitry requirements of 'the both'.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Are you sure the second 5150 has a suitable MDA/Hercules output and is not CGA?

The 5151 should work fine off the stepdown transformer as long as it's large enough to handle the load, about 100 VA.

I have two 5150 with 5151 units in 120V versions and converted them all to 230VAC.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post

The 5151 should work fine off the stepdown transformer as long as it's large enough to handle the load, about 100 VA.

I have two 5150 with 5151 units in 120V versions and converted them all to 230VAC.
    Tried with the card that worked in the first 5150, put it in the second and monitor failed to work

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post

Transformer is 1,000W.

How did you change the two units to 230V?

Are you sure the second 5150 works? Try swapping the power supplies?

Quote Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post
    Tried with the card that worked in the first 5150, put it in the second and monitor failed to work
    Did you change the colour/mono switch? http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/mis...h_settings.htm

Not sure if that would prevent a boot display though.

PM sent on the other item.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Are you sure the second 5150 works? Try swapping the power supplies?
    Yup, tried the second one with a different monitor. 5150 boots up alright.