Image Map Image Map

Thread: Vendex Turbo-888-XT error

Default Vendex Turbo-888-XT error

Hello everyone!

So its my first time visiting the forums and I require some assistance with a Vendex I inherited. Hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

This is the computer in question 20170517_204651.jpg

On startup I get a hard drive controller error, I can still boot from back up discs. 20170517_203551.jpg
    I need help troubleshooting the controller and hopefully getting it to function again without data loss. I do have a spare drive, different bios, that can be used for testing if that would be helpful. I was curious if the controller from my spare drive could be used on the main drive without data loss.

Main drive 20170517_205003.jpg20170517_205101.jpg20170517_205117.jpg

Spare drive 20170517_203620.jpg20170517_203656.jpg

Without any manuals or datasheets I'm lost as to where to start troubleshooting so any help would be appreciated.

I also have a leaky battery on the mobo, any suggestions on the best way to clean the contacts and where to get a new battery. 20170517_204759.jpg

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by delta59 View Post
    Hello everyone!

So its my first time visiting the forums and I require some assistance with a Vendex I inherited. Hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

This is the computer in question 20170517_204651.jpg

On startup I get a hard drive controller error, I can still boot from back up discs. 20170517_203551.jpg
    I need help troubleshooting the controller and hopefully getting it to function again without data loss. I do have a spare drive, different bios, that can be used for testing if that would be helpful. I was curious if the controller from my spare drive could be used on the main drive without data loss.

Main drive 20170517_205003.jpg20170517_205101.jpg20170517_205117.jpg

Spare drive 20170517_203620.jpg20170517_203656.jpg

Without any manuals or datasheets I'm lost as to where to start troubleshooting so any help would be appreciated.

I also have a leaky battery on the mobo, any suggestions on the best way to clean the contacts and where to get a new battery. 20170517_204759.jpg

Thank you!
    The battery is probably most of your problem. You need to replace it. Make note of its orientation (+/-) and then remove it. Clean the area with vinegar followed with alcohol. Inspect for damaged traces and repair, if possible. Solder in a new battery. I noticed a lot of dust in the picture. Use canned air to get everything as clean as possible.

Once all of that is done you need to get into your BIOS set up to configure the drive.

The drives are "AT" interface, what IDE grew from. So yes, since they appear to be the same model, you should be able to swap drives around without worrying about low-level format incompatibilities.

Chances are the "controller" error actually means the drive is bad. Of course, check the cables and such.

Hi again,

I swapped the main drive with the spare I get a hard disk initialization error 20170518_211126.jpg
    I then went and moved the controller from the main drive to the spare and got the hard disk controller error. So I'm hoping that it is just a controller problem. The last thing I can think to do is take the controller from the spare drive and use it on the main drive. The controllers and the drives do look to be slightly different. The main drive has the code 940-40-9102 and the spare drive has the code 940-40-9103. I'm not sure what the difference between the 2 and the 3 is. Do you guys have any other ideas on what to check?

As for the battery I plan on fixing that asap, but would it actually cause a hard drive problem? The computer functions fine once I load into the Vendex OS with the backup disk? If there was a damaged trace I would assume the computer wouldn't function at all.

Thanks!

I cannot describe in words the jealousy I have for the computer you now own. I have one, but my model is absolutely trashed and in horrible shape. I have the Vendex Headstart II. But I have to tell you the Vendex Turbo-888-XT was THE PC of my youth. I had a TRS-80 Coco-2 and Commodore before it, but all of the years that count were on that Vendex. i ran a BBS on it. It is where I played Global War. It is where I first ran Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This is where I ran King's Quest IV in the Blue on Black screen. It is where I learned Q-Basic. I remember when I accidently ran F-DISK and had no idea what it did and destroyed the computer and how elated I was when i "fixed it" using the Dos 3.2 boot disks. I remember running Compushow viewing images in 160x100x16 because that had the most colors. I remember playing Digger and Montezuma's revenge. I remember finding the demo that played .MOD files through my Soundblaster - yes it existed. I could go on and on and on. That computer IS the holy grail for me to have in my collection. God speed sir, god speed. Please fix the battery and keep her running. Just knowing there is one out in the wild running pleases me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by chjmartin2 View Post
    I cannot describe in words the jealousy I have for the computer you now own. I have one, but my model is absolutely trashed and in horrible shape. I have the Vendex Headstart II. But I have to tell you the Vendex Turbo-888-XT was THE PC of my youth. I had a TRS-80 Coco-2 and Commodore before it, but all of the years that count were on that Vendex. i ran a BBS on it. It is where I played Global War. It is where I first ran Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This is where I ran King's Quest IV in the Blue on Black screen. It is where I learned Q-Basic. I remember when I accidently ran F-DISK and had no idea what it did and destroyed the computer and how elated I was when i "fixed it" using the Dos 3.2 boot disks. I remember running Compushow viewing images in 160x100x16 because that had the most colors. I remember playing Digger and Montezuma's revenge. I remember finding the demo that played .MOD files through my Soundblaster - yes it existed. I could go on and on and on. That computer IS the holy grail for me to have in my collection. God speed sir, god speed. Please fix the battery and keep her running. Just knowing there is one out in the wild running pleases me to no end.
    Hey ... it is you 11 years later.... you now own the original monitor in an original box, two fully intact CPU's, and one set of original packaging. You still have to restore them and get them fully up and running.