Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

So I need help identifying a strange video card. This came out of an industrial computer and can run a screen off of an onboard header. All my googling got me basically nothing.
    https://imgur.com/pacMQCD

Sorry for the URL, but couldn't upload this large of an image so figured Imgur would be the best thing.

Let me know if you guys want anymore pictures.

Blog Entries

Changes are that printer isn't made by Datapoint, but rather uses an OEM unit made by someone else.

This appears to be an early USB joystick, of some type, but there are no identifying markings on it whatsoever. Windows recognizes it as a HID compliant game controller and says that it's working properly but manipulating it has no effect on the mouse pointer.

I say "early" because it came from a closed down warehouse that had nothing modern in it. Any ideas?

usbjoystick.jpg

Blog Entries

Umm, why would a joystick have any effect on the mouse pointer?
    Look under devices and printers, look for a joystick or controller, right click and select controller properties.

Later,
    dabone

Quote Originally Posted by dabone View Post
    Umm, why would a joystick have any effect on the mouse pointer?
    Because many HID devices double as a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by dabone View Post
    Look under devices and printers, look for a joystick or controller, right click and select controller properties.
    I did. As I wrote, it just identifies itself as a generic "HID compliant game controller".

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    Because many HID devices double as a mouse.
    Not any game controllers I'm aware of... It's a joystick, it's for joystick things. Has dick-all to do with the mouse.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    This appears to be an early USB joystick, of some type, but there are no identifying markings on it whatsoever. Windows recognizes it as a HID compliant game controller and says that it's working properly but manipulating it has no effect on the mouse pointer.

usbjoystick.jpg
    This is a CH Products Mach IV, but I've never seen the USB variant. The original came out in 1987 and presented as both a joystick as well as a serial pointing device (had two leads on the cable). It's possible what you have is old stock modified for modern factory/warehouse use.

Because of the USB lead, I don't think the original MACH IV software would help you.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

That printer looks a bit like a Mannesmann Tally/Genicom to me but it's been a very long time since I last saw an MT660

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    This is a CH Products Mach IV, but I've never seen the USB variant. The original came out in 1987 and presented as both a joystick as well as a serial pointing device (had two leads on the cable). It's possible what you have is old stock modified for modern factory/warehouse use.

Because of the USB lead, I don't think the original MACH IV software would help you.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Google doesn't find any reference to a USB version, so I'm thinking either modified (as you suggest) or prototype (based on the lack of ID markings).

I think I may have to open it up and see what's inside. I assume the screws are under the rubber feet.