Thread: Asymetrix Multimedia Toolbook v1.5

Question Asymetrix Multimedia Toolbook v1.5

Hey All,

Do any of you have this ?

I'm in need... =D

Thanks,
    Lorenzo

Blog Entries

Odd requirement. I wonder you need that specific version; Toolbook didn't become useful and stable until version 3. I think I have the disks but would need to locate them and verify they still hold something.

There is one on eBeh: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSOFT-Mu...uH2q#ht_52wt_0

Note that "Multimedia Toolbook 1.5" is a slightly enhanced version of "Toolbook 1.5" that includes more multimedia/CD-ROM related features.

Krebizfan, this version sports compatibility with the IBM ActionMedia II, the joint intel/IBM DVI board.. of you do have and could image the floppy set, I know a few here would be super thankful.

SomeGuy, exactly.. there was bundled runtime and some other craziness as well. That boxed version months be the first version.. I saw a different listing as 1.5, much higher, of course, with that center image as the entire box art. I've actually got the box and books from that eBay listing you shared. I found it and some pro audio spectrum in an NEC Multimedia PC upgrade box.. of course the software was missing from the box. #annoyed

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chulofiasco View Post
    Krebizfan, this version sports compatibility with the IBM ActionMedia II
    Krebizfan, if you wish to be hailed as the alpha-geek of this forum, please show me that Asymetrix Toolbook 3.0 supports microchannel adapters. I found a copy of TB 3.0 on Winworld, but it requires installation to find out what it supports.

I would be quite pleased with 3.0, if it supports MCA...

1.5 was labelled a dog, but that was most likely on a 386DX-25 at best, with ESDI drives. What will it do on SCSI and a 486.

Blog Entries

Okay, here is what I have:

Toolbook 1.5 (non-multimedia includes OS/2 version) on 3 5.25" high density disks

MMT 4 on CD - 1995 release. I would be surprised if it didn't support ActionMedia II as the Georgia Department of Labor was still using AMII + MMT for one of the major public Toolbook deployments.

I should have Toolbook 3 without multimedia on 6(?) 5.25" High Density disks though I didn't locate it last night.

I also have MediaBlitz, a sort of canned Toolbook with multimedia for quick development. From 1992 so likely TB 1.5. Probably the last cheap product Asymetrix tried. On 8 3.5" high density disks. Very short manual. No idea what hardware is supported.

I will try to move these to the top of the stack for imaging and checking.

I do know Toolbook would run with MCA since I had a Model 60 and Model 77 and it worked on them. I never had ActionMedia II so I lack knowledge of how it worked.

What I see about AMII is that it requires the use of MCI scripts via get tbkMCI("<MCI string command>",1). The MCI driver should have been supplied with the ActionMedia II card. There were likely canned scripts available from the old Toolbook BBS. I would suggest contacting some of the longer running parts of the Toolbook community to see if anyone stored the old BBS remnants or has surplus older versions.
    http://www.pgsoftwaretools.com/forum/
    http://www.plattecanyon.com/list.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Okay, here is what I have:

Toolbook 1.5 (non-multimedia includes OS/2 version) on 3 5.25" high density disks

MMT 4 on CD - 1995 release. I would be surprised if it didn't support ActionMedia II as the Georgia Department of Labor was still using AMII + MMT for one of the major public Toolbook deployments.
    So... you never had an AM2... What could you do with one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ardent-blue View Post
    So... you never had an AM2... What could you do with one?
    IBM's Multimedia Lab was a coproduction with the University of Georgia and worked on the kiosks used during the Atlanta Olympics which were transferred over to MARTA. For MARTA, the systems were all Pentium 133s with touchscreens and ActionMedia II cards to display the little videos at a reasonable speed. Georgia Department of Labor took the base concepts to use in their own kiosks presumably to replace having state workers provide stock messages. There is a lot of information out there detailing how the projects were done; some of my information about this is drawn for a US DOT report on transit system kiosk designs.

Unfortunately for me, the client for whom I was doing Toolbook work never finalized on incorporating videos which left me with a lot of multimedia software but lacking the specialized hardware necessary to get snappy response. Doing Ken Burns style music over photographs was painful on a 486 with just a plain video card and sound card.