Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Supersoft HR-40(b) hi res graphics board

Thanks Andy, Ive have had random lock ups & no matter what i did I could not get that SS board to respond to any of the sys commands except the one to activate is. It refused to clear screen or do any of the things mentioned in the manual like horizontal lines etc, so it needs something done anyway. I will get this pet working first as standard first now and then look at getting the SS board working if its possible.
    I will have to replace that connector on the ribbon cable that the pins came out of. I wonder if that was tghe problem with it not working because even prising it up carefully, one of th epins in the corner (near hot point) pulled out and then the slightrest touch of some of the others and they fell off. It was quite tight in there so maybe it had been glued in with superglue or something, while the other end came out smoothly and easily.
    I will look among a box of random unmarked cbm size chips i have in case the ones i need are in there. If not, is it posible to obtain these again somewhere? I did go though a box of tapes and did find one "SS" branded one but it was named "papermate", ther was tapes "CBM Pet Pack" and there was one branded box and tape marked as "PET Light pen". I will have to sort through them all (most hand written labels) and catalogue everything thats in there.

Hi Andy, I put those two roms in you sent me and I am pleased to tell you my PET is now working again. I cant thank you enough for that. I might put that SuperSoft Hi-Res board back in some time but before I even consider that can you tell me what extra software is available to run on this board? Is there things like slide shows and games etc?

Hi Jon,

Great, glad it works now. The Only software I know of is the machine code and basic programs I have been using to produce the images on my Flickr page. I will send the code to Steve after I have catalogued it for inclusion with the project he has ongoing.

I wonder, based on the fact that you have a light pen and tablet, if there is software in one of your boxes that uses the SS board in combination with one of those items ?

You are welcome to whatever code I have but i guess it depends on what you want to do .... itís nice to produce graphics one would not normally associate with the capabilities of the Commodore PET but it isnít always straight forward. The Spirograph stuff is basic code so easy to adjust, but the animation stuff is more complex to create from scratch, though each animation i have shown is essentially a self contained piece of code than you can just load and run. I have the PETSD to load and save programs.

I am not aware of any games.

Andy

HI Andy,
    Something still puzles me about the SS board and that is the chip that was soldered (piggy back) on UF8 chip. Its strange because it has a hole drilled through the middle of it. What was this chip and why the hole?

cheers
    Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon

The SS board needs to get access to the video address lines and uses this piggy back chip to do so. It has been drilled out to stop it from working as an actual IC and becomes a simple piggy back chip.

Mine is covered over so can not compare the actual IC but the ribbon cable is soldered to the same pins as yours.

This looks entirely normal...

On the 40/80 Universal motherboards it piggy backs off the address lines from the CRTC chip.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyG; February 17th, 2019 at 11:07 PM.

This probably warrants a new thread but wanted to keep it all self contained.

Steve Gray sent me one of his Multi-EditorROM + 40/80 Column Switcher boards which I built up and interfaced it to the Supersoft HR-40 high res graphics board so I can not only switch between 40 and 80 column configurations on a 8032 PET but also still use the high res graphics board. I also added the Paradox 64k add-on board for the large image animation routines.

I have updated my Flickr page with photos.... I had to use link wires from the 'BA' strip on the motherboard to the 40/80 column switcher board (makes it a little bit untidy) and also had to raise the height of the Supersoft board using a 24 pin DIL socket.

A custom EDIT rom was also made, merging the Supersoft HR rom with an Edit rom that will work with the business keyboard in 40 column mode.

This HR-40 board will not work properly in 80 column mode as a different configuration is required.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138413...h/47688489241/

Thanks to Steve for letting me have some of his boards to build up.... they are really cool.

http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/pro...080/index.html
    Last edited by AndyG; May 15th, 2019 at 11:51 AM.