Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Supersoft HR-40(b) hi res graphics board

Default Supersoft HR-40(b) hi res graphics board

Hi

Do any of you have any documentation or have written down anywhere information that describes how to use the Supersoft HR-40 high res board ?

In particular, the POKE commands (setting the board graphics config plus accessing UD11 etc) and also the various draw commands and expected parameters ?

I know SYS 59650, SL, 0 ,0, 160, 100 draws a line apparently. The SL stands for something which is probably a sloping line but not sure. however you have to enable high res mode and not sure what the POKE location and value should be plus what the other draw commands are.

As always, thanks in advance

Pictures uploaded

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

Have you dumped the rom? It might be interesting to disassemble.

Steve
    WANTED: CBM-II hardware or software, PET software

Not yet but next step I guess. Been scouring the Net but no joy.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by sjgray View Post
    Have you dumped the rom? It might be interesting to disassemble.

Steve

I have dumped the ROM but do not know how to Paste into this Page.

It is a 2532 EPROM ....

Please PM me if you would like a copy to review as I would very much appreciate someones help in working out how to enable and use this board.

Cheers

Andy

Cool UPdate

With the help from Steve Gray, Mike Naberezny & David Viner, this is what we did to get my Supersoft HR-40(B) High resolution Graphics board working (Caution:- I have no idea if there are differences between HR-40(b) boards or other variants so this applies to my setup only).

Installation for my board

My board came already installed onto a non working 4032 Motherboard but I wasn't sure that some of the connections were correct. I found a post by Anti Florian on CBM-Hackers where possible connections were listed

http://www.softwolves.com/arkiv/cbm-.../13/13565.html

These were almost identical to mine, which gave me confidence they were right. Exceptions were, UB8 wasn't available on my board (80 column only) so I selected UB3 instead.
    Also on my board I wasn't sure of the correct location for the blue DIP header (as mine appeared to be 1 pin down on the 6454 CRTC IC. ie pin 1 of the DIL aligned with pin 4 of the 6454 instead of pin 3 suggested in the post). I therefore tried those suggested in the post (as it made more sense). My connections are summarised below starting with a "standard" motherboard board configuration

• Removed the edit and character ROMS from UA3 / UD7

• Clipped Red wire to Pin 11 UB3

Attachment 38913

• Connected the board by pushing the 2 headers into the respective UA3/UD7 sockets

• Clipped the Yellow wire to Pin 11 of UE4

• Connected Blue/Purple wire into Pin 17/18 of J4. Purple to Pin 18

Attachment 38914

• Connected Grey wire to Pin 14 of J9

• Connected White and Black cable to Pin 21/22 of J9. Black to Pin 22

Attachment 38915

• Connected the Blue DIL adapter onto CRTC IC 6545

o Pin 1 of the DIL aligned with Pin 3 of the CRTC chip

o Pins 2 – 11 of the DIL then connected to TA0-TA9 (Pin 4 – 13 on CRTC)

Steve disassembled the ROM and found $EFFF may be a write register. There was a review article from the ICPUG magazine which gave a basic description and detail about how the board worked and included an example draw command which I tried. Steve's disassembled code identified other potential draw commands though the syntax was not clear (more trial and error to follow entering commands to see what happened)

With help from Mike and Steve, we started to try out different settings through trial and error.....

The register appears to have 5 modes available. To set the register

POKE 61439, n where the integer number n =

Below is what I have found from trial and error ...

n=1: Use the On-board 8K RAM for own programmes – address $9000- $AFFF

n=2: Blank screen but can still draw and write text but nothing will be shown until you poke register
    with 5 or 7

n=5: Basic Text and Graphics

n=7: Graphics NO text

n=8: Access On-board Option ROMs at $A000 and $9000 – no graphics. Graphics ram appears to be preserved so when select 5 or 7 it reappears.

We also confirmed by writing directly to the boards RAM that it was indeed working.

Draw Commands

HR = 59650.

Attachment 38916

Scan Courtesy of David Viner - this article is the best we have to date on the commands available.

Mike is starting a Web Page to document this further with additional information as there is far too much to cover in this post

http://mikenaberezny.com/hardware/pe...raphics-board/

A very big thank you to Mike, Steve and David for helping me out here - great teamwork & support as it wasn't easy!
    Last edited by AndyG; June 1st, 2017 at 01:07 AM.

Good diagnostics Andy. This is a pretty cool board. Can't wait to see some intersting graphics from it!

Steve

Attached is a photo showing it works at least

IMG_2029.jpg

OK - been a while but finally found the time to upload a number of photos of images created using the Supersoft HR-40B board. I adapted graphics drawing code designed for other Computers such as the BBC Micro, Atari and C64. Adapting C64 bitmaps was challenging as the pixels had to be remapped, as was converting the animation programmes written for the Dubbel W Board. For those I had to extract each image in Vice and write new compression/decompression code to display them on the Supersoft board. A little trial and error to get to what is close to the optimum image redraw rate.

I hope some of you enjoy them -

Can be found at:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138413...57692375923024

Cheers
    Last edited by AndyG; February 7th, 2018 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks Andy! Progress has been slow, but I'm still hoping to clone this board. You can see my progress on Github:

https://github.com/sjgray/SuperSoft-HR

At this point most of the actual operation and software is known, and the next step is to reverse-engineer the pcb. I have started based on photos of the boards as supplied by Andy and Mike. However more needs to be done. I have to trace each connection and if the connection goes under a chip I have to either guess where it goes or leave it for later when more of the other traces are known and the connection is more obvious. I'm hoping at some point we can get a blank board to speed things along.

Steve
    Last edited by sjgray; February 6th, 2018 at 07:33 AM.