Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba T3200SXC (An LCD Screen rant)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    The only problem I ran into was that the original floppy drive failed (even with maintenance), and experimenting with a 26-to-34-pin adapter didn't work.
    I have a T5200 with the same problem, and I have found no solution yet. I even used a Chinon FZ-357 with RDY jumpers, etc. Still no luck.

However, somehow while testing this, the VCC line to the right LCD melted it's sheath, and while attemping to repair the cable, several of the tiny 34-pin PDP wires got mixed up. So, I need help understanding the pinout from the display connector (or find a new cable). Thankfully the manual has the motherboard connector pinout so, I'm halfway there.

As for the FDD, I'm considering trying to find a way to cable a standard drive to an ISA expansion slot through the chassis, in the case the onboard FDD controller is not working. Thankfully I can work on this separately from repairing the display cable.

I also wish I had a method to test the original 24-pin FDD on another system to rule that out, especially since others may be in need of a working drive like this.

AHA! I seem to have fixed the problem with the floppy drive! (Thanks to someone posting on another retrocomputing forum)

The floppy does NOT need a READY (Computer Pin 8 ) signal on pin 34.
    It needs a DISKCHANGE (Computer Pin 6) signal on Floppy Pin 34 (which this adapter conveniently provides:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-34-Pin-...53.m2749.l2649)

The READY (Computer Pin 8 ) signal, on the other hand, needs to be tied to GROUND, which can be any of the odd pins on the floppy side (I'm guessing READY is active when brought low.), and can be fixed on the aforementioned floppy adapter by soldering the pins together with a wire.
    Last edited by T-Squared; July 5th, 2017 at 03:39 PM.

AHA! I seem to have fixed the problem with the floppy drive! (Thanks to someone posting on another retrocomputing forum)
    I have attempted this procedure and it worked. Thank you for reaching out with the solution. I can also confirm that this works with most any floppy drive, no jumpers needed (I tested a few).

The only challenge that remains will be packaging in all up, which will probably mean shortening cables, and wiring the power directly to the adapter board as there is not quite enough space within the drive cage.

Ok, I accidentally found another problem with the floppy drive adapter.
    The MEDIA pin (computer pin 9) was reporting the wrong type of floppy (i.e. 720k vs. 1.44M), because the computer could read, but not format 1.44MB disks.

In that case, Pin 9 ALSO needs to be tied to a ground pin for 1.44 MB floppy drives to work properly with the adapter.
    Last edited by T-Squared; July 13th, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

I managed to grab a nice Toshiba T3200SXC off of eBay as an Easter present about a month-and-a-half ago.

The computer came with its set of usual (and some un-usual) problems:
    • Non-working screen (This I knew was caused by the capacitors. The Sega Game Gear had this problem)
    • Dead CMOS Battery (already fixed with a Radio Shack 2xAA battery case attached to the original wires)
    • Floppy Drive that developed problems after a while (I can make an adapter that goes from 26-pin to 34-pin+power cabling)
    • Light corrosion on the motherboard (cleaned up with a toothbrush and some alcohol)
    • Chipped-off portion of computer's power supply (repaired with epoxy-fiberglass mix and copper-foil trace+phenolic adhesive)

The system works very nicely, the hard drive still functions as well as it did 26 years ago, it contains a working installation of Windows 3.1, ISA cards work in their intended slots, and I've been able to get some games to run on the system.

It's a very nice piece of machinery, except for one problem...

The replacement LCD screens are DAMNED EXPENSIVE. It's a Sharp-branded "LQ10D013" 10.4-inch 640x480 LCD monitor with a dual CCFL backlight.

I would have been able to fix the screen, except it started falling apart as I attempted to; lifting at least one trace, and damaging one of the polarizing filters with a heat gun (The LCD glass itself is not damaged.). The backlight (with reflector shield+diffuser) is also perfectly functional, as I've plugged it into its inverter and started the computer with it a few times before.

I know I could just as well use a screen that takes a similar 9-bit signal as the previous screen, but I'm a stickler for originality. If I can, I want a screen that is the same brand and/or uses the same screen electronics as the original. (Such as the "LQ10DH11" or "LQ10D010")

I can find the screens just fine, it's just the matter of pricing.
    The highest I've been able to find these screens is about $2500.
    The lowest I can find a screen is around $220 if I buy from electronics shops in China. Even THAT is way out of my pricing range.

I just don't understand. I'm not a businessman nor an economics expert. LCD screens that old don't seem in demand. These particular screens are listed as industrial electronics, but even so. I would not expect screens like that to be sold for prices that are just plain gouging, in my opinion. There seem to be a great number of them, so wouldn't supply dictate the price?
    Did you fix the screen? There is an ordinary T3200 screen (not the color one) on the Swedish equivalent eBay site Tradera, for $7.50 atm. https://www.tradera.com/item/301825/...-laptop-skarm-

Quote Originally Posted by new_castle_j View Post
    You may be interested in this thread I started a while ago. I had replaced the failed screen in my Toshiba T3200SXC with an inexpensive ebay one from China. It's been working fantastic for me. Another member posted a similar project on the thread as well. See here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ent&highlight=
    I just managed to snag myself a T3200 SXC myself! Terribly washed out screen though. Haven't had the time to even disassemble the unit yet (just got it a few days ago, I was aware of the possible issues since I already stumbled across this thread).

I never did see what screen you managed to get though? And at what cost? If all else fails I want to know what the budget and work would have to be to upgrade it. =)