Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba T3200SXC (An LCD Screen rant)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    The only problem I ran into was that the original floppy drive failed (even with maintenance), and experimenting with a 26-to-34-pin adapter didn't work.
    I have a T5200 with the same problem, and I have found no solution yet. I even used a Chinon FZ-357 with RDY jumpers, etc. Still no luck.

However, somehow while testing this, the VCC line to the right LCD melted it's sheath, and while attemping to repair the cable, several of the tiny 34-pin PDP wires got mixed up. So, I need help understanding the pinout from the display connector (or find a new cable). Thankfully the manual has the motherboard connector pinout so, I'm halfway there.

As for the FDD, I'm considering trying to find a way to cable a standard drive to an ISA expansion slot through the chassis, in the case the onboard FDD controller is not working. Thankfully I can work on this separately from repairing the display cable.

I also wish I had a method to test the original 24-pin FDD on another system to rule that out, especially since others may be in need of a working drive like this.

AHA! I seem to have fixed the problem with the floppy drive! (Thanks to someone posting on another retrocomputing forum)

The floppy does NOT need a READY (Computer Pin 8 ) signal on pin 34.
    It needs a DISKCHANGE (Computer Pin 6) signal on Floppy Pin 34 (which this adapter conveniently provides:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-34-Pin-...53.m2749.l2649)

The READY (Computer Pin 8 ) signal, on the other hand, needs to be tied to GROUND, which can be any of the odd pins on the floppy side (I'm guessing READY is active when brought low.), and can be fixed on the aforementioned floppy adapter by soldering the pins together with a wire.
    Last edited by T-Squared; July 5th, 2017 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    AHA! I seem to have fixed the problem with the floppy drive! (Thanks to someone posting on another retrocomputing forum)
    I have attempted this procedure and it worked. Thank you for reaching out with the solution. I can also confirm that this works with most any floppy drive, no jumpers needed (I tested a few).

The only challenge that remains will be packaging in all up, which will probably mean shortening cables, and wiring the power directly to the adapter board as there is not quite enough space within the drive cage.

Ok, I accidentally found another problem with the floppy drive adapter.
    The MEDIA pin (computer pin 9) was reporting the wrong type of floppy (i.e. 720k vs. 1.44M), because the computer could read, but not format 1.44MB disks.

In that case, Pin 9 ALSO needs to be tied to a ground pin for 1.44 MB floppy drives to work properly with the adapter.
    Last edited by T-Squared; July 13th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.