Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: DEC RL01/RL02 disk emulator with PCB board

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kenwickvs View Post
    Thanks AK6DN, I'll personally keep them in mind for future board orders. I'm working on a couple now, including a dual-height Qbus format which will certainly be 4-layers. Any interest on your part for one of these boards?
    -Ken
    Not for me, thanks. I don't have any RL02 application.

This is so cool - congrats Reinhard!
    The operation of a real RL drive in combination with the RL emulator makes disk pack archiving very easy. Just great!
    Sign me up for two bare boards. The components are easy to get, and a Paul says, building the board is part of the fun :->

Henk
    The Netherlands

Thanks Henk, I'll ad you to the list for 2 bare boards, but you'll have to help me with recommendations for shipping to the Netherlands from the USA at a reasonable cost. I'll post an order update soon.
    -Ken

The PCB manufacturer was https://www.elecrow.com/
    We have already asked whether other customers also can reference to our design files.
    I will inform you when I have an answer. Reinhard

By the way, as far as I know, there are already several RL images available . Another
    task is to convert these images to my format or read it in and provide all the servo
    and header information This should be possible, see my C program. Then we can start
    these images with my RL emulator. Any references to get this RL-images? Reinhard

Reinhard and others:

In this thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...finished/page4 in message number 39, I posted my programs to convert PUTR RL02 image files to your emulator's file format ( .DEC ), and the other way round. They either strip or add the necessary block header information. I should warn though that these only work for 16-bit mode systems (pdp-11) and not 12-bit (pdp-8 ). The issue is with the fact that PUTR pads each 12 bit word with zeros to get to 16 bits while the real 12-bit RL02 is bit-packed. I never got around to writing the 12-bit versions of these routines.

I already extracted a bootable OS/8 RL02 pack image using your previous design emulator. I have e-mailed that to a few people, but I'm not sure if they actually used it.

Lou

PS. It's hard to believe that I wrote those routines nearly four years ago!
    Last edited by Lou - N2MIY; June 7th, 2017 at 03:46 AM.

Lou,
    I have your OS/8 RL02 emulator-image in good hands. The only problem is that
    we can't get a RL8 interface even though we have a PDP-8A and 2 PDP-8E available.
    Your programs to convert PUTR RL02 images to the .DEC format is great !!! ..but.. it
    is written in Basic(RT-11?). However, I need the program in c to be able to run it from
    my emulator. If you have time and motivation you can implement it gladly, that
    would be great ! I have already installed a "select" mode (SWITCH 2 = ON). Normally my
    emulator starts in default mode, the configured files RL02_0/1/2/3.DEC are read and
    then started automatically. My plan is, the "select"-mode is asking for a folder and
    files which are then read(+converted) and/or generated. Reinhard

Blog Entries

@Ken - USPS International First Class is pretty reasonable - probably something around $15 for two boards. I'm also happy to take the boards to Henk if he's not in too much of a hurry. I'll be in the Netherlands in October.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by kenwickvs View Post
    Thanks Henk, I'll ad you to the list for 2 bare boards, but you'll have to help me with recommendations for shipping to the Netherlands from the USA at a reasonable cost. I'll post an order update soon.
    -Ken
    I searched for the DE10-Lite at work. As my employer is Bosch Rexroth, it makes a difference compared to searching at home. At home, I am in The Netherlands based on the IP address, but at work I am in Germany LOL. At home I could only find the DE10-Lite for some 90 Euro (excl.VAT), and at work I found the same board for just 63 Euro (excl.VAT). Both on the Mouser web site. So, I ordered the "academic" version, and Mouser let me - no request of proof being a student (I ordered just one).

While ordering, I figured "why not buy the ICs as well" ... I did not, because my experience is with "through-hole" stuff. Looking at the SMD parts, the LVC8T245 has 12 variations in the suffix letters ! I really did not know what to order. Ditto for the AM26LS3x devices.

---> Is it possible that somebody makes a kit that contains the following parts?
    1. board
    2. 6 ICs (2x LVC8T245, 2x AM26LS31, 2x AM26LS32) all SMD correct version
    3. the holder for the micro SD card
    4. the 3 resistor networks

If somebody has the correct part order numbers from Jameco, Mouser, etc -- that is also fine, but a kit would save on extra shipping cost.

@Ken : USPS is fine, as Jack suggests, but instead of the bare boards I hope to buy a kit. If no kit is available, I will be happy with two bare boards!

@Jack : thanks for the offer, but I hope to have the RL emulator working sooner You are always welcome for a visit, you know! In October it is not (yet) that cold here

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by PDP11GY View Post
    The PCB manufacturer was https://www.elecrow.com/
    We have already asked whether other customers also can reference to our design files.
    I will inform you when I have an answer. Reinhard
    Reinhard,
    I have been traveling and missed the start of this discussion, but I would be interested in buying one of your RL01/RL02 emulators also. I'll send you an email with my contact information, but also Jack Rubin and I live pretty close, so you could send mine in the package you send him and I can pick it up from him.

Thanks for your efforts on this project!

Mark Matlock