Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: eBay deliberately contributing to inflated resale values

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    It has nothing to do with Me, leave Me out of it. :P
    My curse wasn't directed at you, it was directed at ebay. Actually, it was directed at nobody, because you can stand outside ebay's corporate offices and scream into a megaphone and they won't do a single thing.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

They won't do anything until revenue starts dropping fast (and that won't happen anytime soon). They might as well go on SNL and have an ebay informercial about how they don't care about what customers want since they are a monopoly (like the old phone company skit).

People who pick one (out of dozens) of ebay sell prices to quote me on old laptops gets old. They just don't sell for anywhere near that 99% of the time.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Gotta protect that shareholder value. If it makes the share price go up, it's a good decision. Nothing else matters to them.

Blog Entries

OP is right, the accepted offer is not shown on the invoice. That affected me a few weeks ago when a seller accepted my offer of less than half of the asking price. As the seller would not ship internationally I had to fall back to my re-shipper, where I need accurate invoices provided so it can proceed smoothly. I ended asking the seller to hand annotate and initial/sign the invoices for the true sales price (one inside the box, the other window taped outside). Thankfully the re-shipper used that value.

If you think that's bad, the eBay Global Shipping Program is the worst thing ever, where an item *has* to go through Pitney Bowes clearinghouse. It appears the US seller is not aware of the massive (and I mean MASSIVE) markup on postage it adds to the item. For my vintage computer item it was $28 USD domestic shipping to my FL re-shipper, otherwise they had $450 USD to post to Australia. I perused the destinations list and other countries had up to $800 USD for their postage rates. My re-shipper then quoted $130 USD re-postage for my item.

Quote Originally Posted by 1944GPW View Post
    If you think that's bad, the eBay Global Shipping Program is the worst thing ever, where an item *has* to go through Pitney Bowes clearinghouse. It appears the US seller is not aware of the massive (and I mean MASSIVE) markup on postage it adds to the item. For my vintage computer item it was $28 USD domestic shipping to my FL re-shipper, otherwise they had $450 USD to post to Australia. I perused the destinations list and other countries had up to $800 USD for their postage rates. My re-shipper then quoted $130 USD re-postage for my item.
    Is that due to customs/duties being included in that price, or is it just eBay outright ripping customers off on postage? The GSP, from what I understand, is supposed to include all shipping related fees that are often, ahem, overlooked when a seller just does an international shipment. I understand they can be quite substantial, as I've had several people cancel their orders when they found out I wouldn't put down a lesser amount on the customs form.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Is that due to customs/duties being included in that price, or is it just eBay outright ripping customers off on postage? The GSP, from what I understand, is supposed to include all shipping related fees that are often, ahem, overlooked when a seller just does an international shipment. I understand they can be quite substantial, as I've had several people cancel their orders when they found out I wouldn't put down a lesser amount on the customs form.
    From what I've read, it's a combination of both of those, with an additional factor that I can't see why it isn't fraud. I've lost count of the number of complaints that I've read, from Canadian buyers, objecting to PB charging them for import duty when the item should have been duty free, due to NAFTA. I'm surprised that no agency has investigated what happens to that wrongly charged duty - taxing authorities normally take that kind of thing very seriously.

For what it's worth (probably not much), I posted a thread about it on the eBay "Community" forum.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding...t/m-p/27039278

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Imports to Australia to the value of less than $1000 AUD attract NO import duties or customs fees. eBay's GSP destinations list either fails to take that into account, or they (perhaps more likely) just put a blanket levy on any GSP purchase as some countries do have import/customs costs for small amount values. We are not one of those countries.

However our current $1k limit is under threat as we have a government that wants to impose online internet purchase taxes for either everything or a severely reduced threshold, at the behest of millionaire/billionaire owners of retail chains, whose real opposition is not the little guy trying to save some money on an item but the introduction of other large foreign retailers wanting to enter the domestic market.

I have an eBay link that, along with the item number, will show you the true offer that was accepted and all other offers made that were not accepted. I'm not so sure it's 100% accurate because I use it to check how much fellow bidders offered on an item I put an offer on and won and I wasn't always the person with the highest offer. So, in a round about way, it shows you what the item sold for. I do apologize but I won't post the link or it may go away.

Shipping out of the USA is REALLY expensive even if the seller does it themselves. There is no budget option from USPS anymore, it has to all go via air now. The re-shipping services get a break since they everything mail bulk to one location in the destination country and they likely use their own customs brokers to speed things along. Some might even ship via boat for the larger stuff.