Image Map Image Map

Thread: TI-99/4... Anyone know how many were sold?

Default TI-99/4... Anyone know how many were sold?

I recently picked one of these machines up. I run into dozens of /4As in the wild, but this is the first 4. I'd love to know roughly how many were sold.

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    I recently picked one of these machines up. I run into dozens of /4As in the wild, but this is the first 4. I'd love to know roughly how many were sold.
    This site claims "over 20,000" were produced. Compared to the 2 to 3 million TI-99/4A's that were sold, that's not a lot!

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/computers/ti994.html

I've been looking at the 99/4s for about as long as they've been around (and I possess most of one of the Dimension 4 prototypes which preceded them (the innards, as the prior owner (a recycler) removed the case and keyboard and discarded them) ). The serial numbers stamped on the bottom of the 99/4s (and early /4As with SNs less than 100,000) were pretty much accurate. The highest serial number I've seen for a /4 is 71682, manufactured in the 28th week of 1981 (mid July), which is right at the end of the production run for the 99/4. I have seen estimates that showed up in computer magazines back then that said 55-60 thousand had been sold, so a serial number near 72K isn't too much of a variance, especially as those estimates were made late during the period that the machine was still on sale.
    Enter My Mind At Your Own Risk!