Image Map Image Map

Thread: A Quantum Go•Drive dies for seemingly no reason at all.

Default A Quantum Go•Drive dies for seemingly no reason at all.

I've never seen an hard drive fail this way before. I decided to hook up this drive to a computer for the first time since I had it. It worked flawlessly. No errors, nothing about bad sectors... I removed it and hooked up another drive to back up its content... Now I decided to hook up the Quantum again. It spins up, but makes clicking sounds, and then it shuts down. The clicking sounds seem to be the same with each power on. Each click reduces the platter's rotational speed for a second.
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s1vFpYru00oj

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is there some kind of fix? If there is not, I will open it up. It was built in 1991 going by the dates on the ICs.

In the beginning of this year I had a Fujitsu hard drive break. Well, that drive still works and its condition even seems to have gotten better... So the behavior of this Quantum is unacceptable!
    • The only computer from my childhood that I'm missing is an Olivetti M380-40... Please help me find a solution to this problem
    • Looking for pictures of the following Olivetti computers: M380 W, M380 XP4, M400-60, M480... Complete list: http://pastebin.ca/3629976

Blog Entries

Sounds like a head crash to me. The GoDrives from Quantum suffer from a bumper gone to "goo".

See this explanation for suggestions on repair.

But it's probably too late for yours. There's a good reason that very few of the Quantum GD's still are working.

Drives die... all the time... quite often without any warning whatsoever. C'est la vie. Many of these failures are due to track zero issues.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

I don't know if my drive has the rubber bumper, its construction seems to be a little bit different.

I opened it up. The noise seems to come not from the actuator but from a voice coil-controlled lock, made to lock the actuator in place when off and unlock it when on...

It unlocks, but continues to click, possibly because it senses that the heads do not move. It locks then unlocks again, does the same thing, and then locks and gives up/shuts down.

Interestingly, if I move the actuator manually the drive gets going. Does its seek test, then starts booting. Probably works perfectly. Huhmmmm....

I've heard of stuck platters before, but I think it's the first time I see stuck voice coil actuator! And it's not even stuck, it just will not move on its own...

Could this be the rubber's doing?
    • The only computer from my childhood that I'm missing is an Olivetti M380-40... Please help me find a solution to this problem
    • Looking for pictures of the following Olivetti computers: M380 W, M380 XP4, M400-60, M480... Complete list: http://pastebin.ca/3629976

Blog Entries

That sounds like a possibility to me. If the rubber is disintegrating,it won't be too long before the drive gives up the ghost by slamming the heads into the spindle. Is your drive a single- or double-platter one?

Single.

Are you gonna tell me to disassemble it??? I don't think I can do that. What I find the most problematic is that the heads must not touch or else they get destroyed. I thought of slipping some kind of rubber ring between the arms to keep them separated, or maybe separate them and insert something to keep them that way (but you must be careful not to bend them permanently)... It's so cramped in there, and then you have to manipulate the platter with extreme care and make sure you put it back correctly... I'd like to know if someone actually succeeded in reparing their Go•Drive by doing all that.

I would need tiny, elongated pliers, and maybe a microscope.